Chapter 16

"How did Scarlett get outside?" Mom asked, in the waiting room at the pristine medical court.
She seemed concerned to why I couldn't have stopped her, but more horrified than anything.
It made telling her what happened even harder.
"She had been, well, looking for something, I suppose, so she was retracing steps, and I hadn't really been paying attention her, I- I didn't think she was going to do anything drastic....!
"But she snuck outside, and that's when we saw the ship. She must have been hallucinating, because she said she saw you and that they had kidnapped you and she...took off." I said, to freaked out to explain in details how she suddenly went limp and fell back in the ocean.
Mom looked worried, not mad or anything, but I still felt entirely responsible for Scarlett's Solaricis.
"This is all my fault! I shouldn't have let her go outside, I should have been aware of-"
"No, Marina, it not. You where right about the ultraviolet rays in the ship; they are what caused this, not you.." Mom said firmly.
although in a way, it was still a gentile thing, as she was trying to reassure me with kindness.
Mom can be as reassuring as a warm gentle hand in a dark blue abyss but this was just to much for me to feel better about.
How could I? I'm supposed to help save Aquarians from Solaricis, not endanger them.
I should have been with her.
I should have been more on guard.
I guess I thought that Scarlett was inquisitive and loves to meddle, but would always make sure not to cross the line into something fatal.
She crossed the line.
As we where waiting in the boring prestigious coral and pearl room for the Medicinal to talk to us, I heard mother mutter under her blanket of black curls-
"It was their fault, they should have known not to come to the ocean."
She  looked really distressed, almost as if she had know the fatal blow was coming, but I guess that's simply what you feel like when someone gets sick or hurt.
Finally, the arrogant  dirty blond haired prestigious Medicinal court leader walked towards us.
I have never been so happy to see her in my life.
"Come this way, we mustn't talk so publicly about a confidential matter." She said, her version of trying to be empathetic.
We walked down the immaculately clean and trim hall to where Scarlett was laying curled in a fetal position as people began to operate and give her tests.
"Thankfully, the amount of ultraviolet rays Scarlett was exposed to by the ship was few, as her body did not take in that much light between the electrons valence shells. She has a very minor case, and doesn't need that much Aquamarine medicine.
(She sighed)
"Unfortunately, our other patient, Nahla, has used up most of her supply in her fatal case. Therefore, we will not have enough Aquamarine to properly cure her back to health, and will have to wait till after the search." She explained.
"What will happen to her during that time?" Mom asked, still worried as a seal in shark but more at ease and strong like her usual self, probably because Scarlett's case wasn't fatal.
"During that time, she will be staying at the medical court under tight surveillance in-till she had access to the last bit of Aquamarine stones after the search." She announced.
Mom nodded, knowing what hat once Scarlett gained consciousness she will not be happy about this.
She would be here for a while, until I helped her.
I had to help her.
The search didn't feel the same anymore. It was no longer about helping Aquarians in general, it was now about helping my sister.
Selfish or not, I must do it.
I owed her now, as I couldn't save her before,  so here I had a chance to repay her.
Maybe the Greats where right.
Even if I don't feel confident in my abilities, I still feel this urge under the surface to explore, learn and discover.
The urge to become a researcher.
I needed to do this moe than ever now.
In two sun drops I will be searching for a cure, going against the Aquarian code in order to help cure our species of Solaricis with the only person I want to see right now-
"Jack?" I called out to the he hazy figure in the distant hall.
He was trudging down the hall, looking worried when he saw the tear streaks down my face.
I swam to him and he wrapped his arms around me.
I stayed there for a moment, the bitterflys filling my shock and pain.
Out the alcove, I saw it was already light outside, light enough to leave your dens.
"You don't have to worry about your sister. I know it's easier said then done, but I'm going to make sure she gets her cure. I can promise you this, because I never leave a job undone." He whispered assuringly.
I nodded, my eyes watery and we finally got to do what we wanted so desperately for weeks, hold each other, and then kiss each other.
I'll be searching with you, Jack.
I thought, and so desperately wanted to say.
I have to do this, to.