chapter 1

Chloe POV

Walking into school in the middle of a semester is a sure way to get noticed but all I ever wanted was to be invisible. The new kids from the beginning of the year are no longer new and everyone is known until I, a small, dark haired blue eyed girl walks in. The stares I am used to, but these are different stares. Not hateful stares, yet, anyway, but simply curious ones. I walked down the hallway avoiding eye contact with everyone until I opened the office door. As I pulled someone pushed and with my luck the door came back to smack me right in the face. "Ow!" I said while cupping my face. "Oh my god I am so sorry, I didn't see you there." A voice said. I lowered my hands to look at source of the voice because the last thing I expected was an apology. "Um, It's ok, I'm fine." I said quickly. As I looked up I saw a girl who looked to be my age with a horrified expression on her face. "Are you sure?" she asked, sounding genuinely concerned. I nodded my head quickly to empathize that I was fine. "Ok, well if your sure. My name's Calliope but everyone calls me Callie." She said introducing herself and sticking her hand out for me to shake. I accepted the handshake replying with my name. "Well I have to go get my schedule so, um, I'll see you around I guess." I said while walking towards the door. She kept looking at me and replied "Yeah, hopefully we have some classes together." Slowly pulling the door open it was suddenly slammed into my face as someone ran out yelling sorry behind there back not caring who it was. "What the hell! Again!" I somewhat yelled as this time I could feel some blood on my face. "Here, let's get you to the bathroom and clean you up." Callie said while grabbing my arm and pulling me into the bathroom. Once we got in there she released me and hurried to get some paper towel. She wet it down and walked to stand directly in front of me looking me square in the eyes. She ignored all my protests that I could do it myself and gently wiped the blood away from the cut under my eye. "I can do this myself ya know." I stated plainly. "I know, but I figured since I hit you with the door the first time I owed it to you." She said. I sighed in frustration. "Besides, I'm going to be a surgeon when I get older anyway so this is easy practice." I raised an eyebrow at her. "What kind of a surgeon?" I asked curiously. "I'm thinking orthopedic but I'm not completely sure yet." Wow, I was impressed. "Well I hope that works out for you, it's certainly not an easy path to follow but if it's your passion then it'll be worth it." She smiled this amazing smile that made me glad I was sitting on the sink. "Thanks, glad to have someones support." She said. Changing the subject she asked about my pain. "Oh it's fine, I'm used to worse." I automatically replied before realizing my mistake. Her eyes narrowed a little bit when she said "What do you mean?" I quickly hopped off the counter and looked at her before replying "Well I have to go grab my schedule, but thanks for the help!" I took off practically running out of the bathroom. Sighing in relief I walked to the office and stood to the side of the door opening it safely before stepping inside and eyeing the office assistant. "I need my schedule." I said. "Of course, Chloe right?" she asked while maintaining that overly joyful smile. I nodded my head yes and quickly grabbed it so I could head to my locker. I kept my head down once again while walking to my locker. After typing in the com I stowed away some of the stuff I brought and making it mine. The bell rang giving the four minute warning so I hurried to find my class. I had barely made it inside my first class before the bell rang. Looking at the teacher who was about to scold me she realized I was new. "Hi, I'm Mrs. Clark. We don't normally get new students this late but there is a seat in the back next to Callie." she said. After thanking her I headed to the back of the class thinking in my head that of course it was Callie I would be sitting next to. When I sat down next to her she looked up and smiled again. "Hey stranger." she said. I just chuckled and looked forward towards the teacher. "Let me see your schedule, I want to see if we have more classes together." she demanded. Smiling at her I handed over the piece of paper. After looking at it for a minute she let out a quiet squeal of happiness. "We have all of our classes together!" she said while grinning from ear to ear. "Well it looks like you and I will be spending a lot of school time together huh?" I smiled at how excited she was and took back my schedule. I couldn't believe how comfortable I was with her. I had built some major walls and had a lot of trust issues but I guess they didn't apply to her. Having all my classes with her the school day passed quickly and soon it was the last class of the day, gym. Walking into the locker room I realized I didn't have anything to change into. "Shit, I didn't pack any clothes." I said to Callie. She just smiled at me and chucked some extra clothes out of her bag to me. While everyone else started to change in front of each other I walked into a stall. If people saw the scars they would know I self harm and that I was abused. I preferred to keep that to me, myself and I. Nobody aside from me and my father knew that. After changing I stepped out of the stall and threw my stuff on the bench because all the lockers were taken. "Are you crazy? Leave your stuff there and it will be stolen or ruined." Callie said. She grabbed my stuff and put it in her locker. After giving me her com she just said we could share it. We walked out to the gym and I was excited to see we were playing lacrosse today. This was one of my favorite games for gym and I was pumped. After the teams were picked and everyone had there lacrosse sticks the gym teacher threw the ball into the air and all hell broke loose. Callie and I were on opposite teams and our rivalry was already apparent. She was the goalie for her team while I was all offense. After about three minutes of game play I saw the ball fly into the air and quickly snatched it while running towards the goal. I dodged anyone in my way and sent the ball flying towards the goal and....score! I looked around and saw everyone stopped and staring at me. I was invisible everywhere but the gym, in the gym I played my heart out. I soon realized that everyone was amazed because nobody scored when Callie was goalie. It was priceless. The whistle from the teacher brought us all back to earth and the ball was put into motion again. I scored three more goals on Callie before her competitiveness got the best of her. With the scores tied and two minutes left in the game she stepped away from the goal and pulled in one of her offense players. Switching places Callie was now offense while some poor kid was goalie. She and I faced off in the middle while everyone watched the two best players go at it. The ball was thrown in the air and we both jumped for it. I was amazed as I saw how high she jumped. Snatching the ball before I could she body checked me and pushed past sprinting for the goalie. I soon found out that although she was fast, I was faster. Swinging my lacrosse stick in front of her I sent the ball into the air. We both rammed into the bleachers but just kept going at it grinning at each other. Turning around I scooped up the ball and used my speed to run across the gym knowing I was faster. The goalie was scared shitless. He stood up and seemed to step away from the goal. I thought he was just getting out of my way but it was too late by the time I realized the idiot was swinging at the ball which I had at my head level it was too late. I felt the impact hit me in the side of my head before I completely blacked out.