Chapter fourteen

Authors notes
Hey guys! This is all gonna be in the authors POV but I'll let you know if I decide to change it. Anyways enjoy! 😊

Several hours later, Kimberley returned to Cheryl's apartment with sixteen shopping bags. Once Kimberley had caved in, Melissa had been a determined shopper, and Kimberley now possessed several pairs of designer shoes, matching jewelry, four designer handbags, two clutch purses, four cocktail dresses, and multiple sets of everyday clothing. Since Melissa had been determined that she be fashionably beautiful from the inside out, Kimberley now had bags of designer unmentionables.

The lingerie, she admitted, she rather liked, since she knew Cheryl would appreciate them. The rest, though-well, it bothered her. But since she didn't want to get Melissa in trouble, or embarrass Cheryl, she'd caved in to the pressure and bought it. She'd stopped looking at price tags since that just seemed to slow everything down, and she felt sick at the amount they'd spent on clothes that day.

All she kept thinking about was that it could have paid her rent for a year. Fed a family of four for a year. Purchased a small car or two. Instead, it was just sweaters and skirts and matching earrings. For the amount of money they'd spent on her shoes, they should have been gold-plated and given her a foot massage as she put them on.

She and Cheryl hadn't discussed closets, and she didn't want to be presumptuous, so she filled a closet in one of the spare rooms. Once her things were put away, she took a long, luxurious bath, pulled her hair into what she hoped was an elegant upsweep, and began to apply her makeup.

A half hour later, she was ready, and anxious. Kimberley examined her appearance in the mirror. The designer dress she'd chosen for that night was a deep wine shade.

Not bad. She didn't look a thing like herself, but she didn't look bad.

The sun was setting behind the sea of buildings when she heard a click at the front door. She turned just as Cheryl entered, a bouquet of flowers in her hand.

Cheryl stopped at the sight of her, her gaze sweeping up and down over Kimberley's body. A grin crossed her face. "You look gorgeous, Kimberley."

She smiled at her. "I look expensive, you mean."

"You do, but it's perfect for the party tonight." A slow smile curved her mouth, and her gaze again roamed over Kimberley's body approvingly. "You're perfect."

Kimberley flushed under her scrutiny, secretly pleased. Melissa had been right after all. She made a mental note to hint to Cheryl that her assistant needed a raise. "I didn't know you were going to work so late," she began, feeling awkward as Cheryl continued to admire her.

She grimaced and held the flowers out to Kimberley. "I'm sorry. I had a few meetings that ran late. If I'd have known you were so incredibly gorgeous while waiting for me, though . . ." Cheryl leaned in and pressed a kiss to Kimberley's neck, her hand sliding down kimberley's naked back. "I like this part."

Cheryl's eyes gleamed as she gazed down at Kimberley. "I think your dress needs something."

"Does it?" Kimberley glanced down at the material, then twisted to see the back-or lack of back-on her gown. "I thought I looked pretty good, myself."

Cheryl reached into her bag and pulled out a long, blue velvet box, holding it out to her. "See if you like this."

Kimberley's tongue felt glued to the roof of her mouth. "Oh, Cheryl. You shouldn't have. Really. Whatever you spent, it's too much."

"Look at it," cheryl said, a twinkle in her eye. "I tried to find one like in the gift shop. Now that you know that I have money, I can give you these things."