Chapter 21

The next morning when I wake up, I cook breakfast. I make up two plates and set them on the table along with two cups of orange juice. Just as I'm about to go get Ryan, he runs into the kitchen breathlessly. "What's wrong? Are you okay?" I ask, concerned.

He puts his hand up to his forehead and takes a deep breath. "I woke up and you were gone. I thought..."

I slip my arms around his waist and hug him. "I'm not going anywhere." I say, looking him in the eye.

"Good." He whispers.

I press my lips against his for a long moment. "Are you hungry?" I ask.

"Not for food." He smirks.

I smile. "I made breakfast."

"Thanks." He says, sitting at the small table.

I sit across from him and we begin eating. "Did you get some sleep?"

He nods. "Yeah. Thanks to you."

"I didn't want to leave you. You know that, right?" I ask.

He looks up at me. "Smile. You look so much better when you smile. And yes, I do now."

A small smile plays on my lips as I look down at my plate. "Can I take you to work today so I can borrow your car?" I ask.

"Sure. What are you gonna do?"

"Go to the mall. I wanna get a few things for myself."

"Okay. I'll get a ride home from Dylan so don't worry about me."

"Are you sure? I can pick you up." I say.

"Don't worry about it."

When I stop in front of his work, he hands me a hundred dollar bill. "What's this for?" I ask.

"The mall. Buy yourself something nice."

I refuse to take it. "No. I have my own money."

"Take it or else I won't be able to stop thinking about you. Please take it." He says.

"No." I shake my head.

"I'm not gonna go until you take it. You're gonna get me in trouble."

I frown and take the money. "Good one." I say sarcastically.

He smiles. I give him a quick kiss before he gets out. When I get to the mall, I get a drink from the food court then go into Victoria's Secret. Thinking about the money Ryan gave me, I go straight to the lingerie. After looking for a while, I grab a white lace one. As I walk towards the dressing rooms, I hear a familiar laugh. I completely stop, making the person behind me bump into me. "Sorry." I say quietly.

"Whatever." She mumbles as she pushes past me.

I look around and see my mom in the corner with a man. I can only see the back of the mans head but it looks like the same guy I caught her on the couch with. "Mom?" I say, still in shock.

Her and the man look back and I take a step back, realizing who the man is. "Aria, I can explain." My mom says cautiously.

"How do you explain this?" I snap.

"Let's grab something to eat and we'll talk." She says.

I glance at him and become pissed. "I'd rather not."

"Please, Aria." He begs. "We need to talk. Let me take you out for dinner so we can talk."

"Fine. But only if I can bring Ryan." I say, crossing my arms.

They look down at the white lace lingerie in my hand and I blush, quickly putting it behind my back. "This is the first time you've seen him in years. Why can't this be just our little family?" My mom asks.