| twenty four |

rebecca's point of view

i followed behind rilee, catching the door she pushed open into the woman's bathroom.

she placed her elbows on the granite counter and leaned over the sink, looking down at her crossed hands.

"you didn't have to come after me."

"i wanted to make sure you were okay." i said.

"i used to be okay. right when i met jack and sammy, i was independent without either of them. but it seems all i ever want or need anymore is them.", she sighed, jumping up on to the counter, "im so hooked on the fact that they both love me and the idea that maybe one of them will be more than just a bestfriend one day ... but then i remind myself that's not what the deal was."

i looked down at my shoes. i never knew they made a deal.

i just thought they were best friends who ended up having sex. i didn't even know she loved both of them.

"and it crushes me." rilee's voice cracked.

"you know ... even though boys are horny basically 24/7..." i searched for words, "eh, yeah i got nothin'. your situation is very complicated."

she let out a giggle as i hopped up on the counter next to her.

"now i don't have either of them anymore."

"rilee, you don't know that for sure. having an argument doesn't exactly make things done for good. plus, sammy didn't cut you off like jack did."

"yet." she rolled her eyes, leaning her head back against the long, wide, mirror, "and nate! ugh, what the hell was he thinking?"

i shrugged, "it happens. but, he's okay. they got everything out of his system."

"oh my god. i just remembered the wall." rilee's eyes got bigger.

"the wall?"

"yes, the wall! when nate got all angry and punched the wall right next to my head!" she jumped off the sink.

"what?! he almost punched you!?"

"well, you see, he and i had a thing when i was in 10th grade, and long story short, he still loves me and thinks he's a better guy for me than jack and sam.", she shook her head, "or was it jack or sam...?"

i stared at her, "you have so much to catch me up on."

jack johnson's point of view

"here for ... Nathan Maloley?" a nurse read off a clipboard.

sam, jack and i stood up.

"right this way." she said, turning back around and out the door.

we followed her to the elevator and up one floor.

"i'll let you guys visit with your friend." she smiled, and then walked back towards the elevator.

"hey man, how're you doing?" i asked.

nate was in a blue hospital gown with a few wires and clip on his finger.