Ten // Partied Like It Was 1999 With A Part To Play

Jacob

Kaia was hot as fuck. She was in this black dress which showed off all her good features, dark hair straight down her back and red lipstick contrasting the whole thing. I'd already been told off once for staring so I kept my eyes anywhere else. It was harder to do when we arrived, because I had to look at her. We had a part to play and I wasn't about to let it slip because of her rack.

The party was raging by the time we got there, as all parties did on Friday nights. It was a common theme in summer to start the parties at seven, because it was still daylight and warm and good for socializing and getting tipsy. The real fun started when it got dark. The music turned up, the people got drunk, the dance floor got filled.

We managed to arrive at 8:30pm because Kaia was running late, so afternoon had turned to dusk and dusk was turning to night. The cicadas were buzzing and it brought the night to life.

Margaret LaMarr, Audrey's best friend and the girl who happened to be hosting the party, had one of the smaller houses in the town. Not to say it was small, because it wasn't by anyone's standards. It was grand, with tall ceilings and expensive fixtures, but it wasn't large in square metres.

I'd come here in year seven for a gathering while I was dating Audrey, so this place didn't hold the best memories for me. But I had a mission, and I was intending to complete it.

Make Kaia my official 'girlfriend'.

Not like it would be hard, she'd already said yes, but I had to act coupley and like I was nervous about asking her at the same time. It was a tough gig. All she had to do was stand with me and look pretty, something she was doing incredibly well.

Hayden and the boys ran along into the party without waiting for us. I got out of the passenger seat and opened Kaia's door for her, acting the true gentleman. People were still arriving, with cars lining either side of the street, so I offered my hand to help her out and she took it with a put-on smile.

"I don't want to be here, I don't want to be here, I don't want to be here," she was chanting under her breath as people came up to us, some already intoxicated and some fully sober.

"Are you two a thing?"

"Yes."

"Awh you look so cute together!"

"Thank you."

"When did this happen?"

"Recently."

"DAMN KAIA!" Followed by a wolf whistle.

"It's going to be a long night," she whispered in my ear when we finally made it to the front door, the wooden rectangle hanging obsolete on it's hinges. All I could think about was how this house was going to be full of bugs when we were done.

"Try to enjoy it," I told her, leading her through the crowds of people to the backyard, where I knew we would find people to talk to until the real party started.

"Never said I wouldn't." A small smile hooked her lips, as she paused mid-step, turning to face me. "Is there any chance you would like to get me a drink?"

I smiled back, conscious of the population in the room. We were so close to the backyard where it was less crowded but she'd been sneaky enough to stop here. "You're kidding, right?"

She shook her head and quickly pecked my cheek. I laughed as I could see her struggle not to scrunch up her face. "Please and thank you," she lulled, then pulled her hand out of mine and wandered through the back door.