Epilogue

Ezio never saw Speranza again.

He thinks of her often. Whenever he passes the knoll in Monteriggioni where they had their picnic, he thinks of the conversations they held together. The gardens remind him of when he got to know her, discovering more about who she was and what she stood for.

It was in those gardens that he fell in love with her.

He never stopped loving Speranza, even once he found Sofia and married her. There was always a part of his heart that wished that he could've kept her, stopped her from leaving him behind. True, he fought against the Borgia influence and eventually killed Rodrigo, but he wished Speranza could've been there with him.

He thought he saw her once, in Florence. There was a field dotted with flowers, a few grave markers the only sign that people had ever trod there. A cloaked form stood by the graves, laying roses over the top. Ezio didn't stop to say hello, but he wished that he had.

In truth, Speranza inspired Ezio more than anyone had inspired him before. She had grown up as a simple noblewoman, completely alike to the women all around her. Her life was struck by tragedy, and although it made her cold and closed off, Ezio knew her for her heart. She was strong, brave, and her heart had a kind of love that was different than anything he had ever experienced before.

Yes, she was pericoloso, but not in the way that she thought. No, she was dangerous because falling in love with her was something Ezio couldn't help, but it was also something she could never return fully.

She was an assassin, and as an assassin, she made all those in her brother and sisterhood proud to know that she was a part of their cause.

----------

Dear Speranza,

I thought of you today. I saw a woman in the Tuscan market with the same golden eyes that I remember you had. She smiled at me, making me think of the last time I wished you goodbye.

I am old now, Speranza. I spend long days tending to my vineyard and writing memoirs. I even dedicated one to you, la mia bella rosa. That's what you are, a beautiful rose. Your beauty is obvious and appreciated by those who look at you, but should they get close, they must deal with the thorns that come with the beauty.

I would deal with the thorns a hundred times over if I could just see you again. I've told Sofia, Flavia, and Marcello about you. Flavia thinks that you're noble and brave, while Sofia adds that she's glad someone was around to keep me in line before she showed up. Marcello admits that he feels sorry for you, but he knows that you wouldn't want his sympathy.

I feel weak, Speranza. I feel as though the wings I once had when I was a young man have weathered away into nothing. There's so much I want to show you; the sun over the vineyard when it rises, the bustling of the town when the rush starts, the sound of music playing in the quiet of the evening.

Wherever you are, I hope that you're happy, Speranza. I hope that you found someone who could pin you down and make you smile. I hope that you have children that look like you and have your determination.

The importance of love and hope in the brotherhood has always been there, but I feel as though you knew that long before I ever did. You understood how love can be both dangerous and rewarding, and that hope can fuel someone along their path in a way better than food and water ever could.

Leonardo told me that you saw him once, wishing him good luck. You sent your well wishes through him to me, and I'm glad to say that I received them. We spoke of you, all good things.

Our paths could have crossed again, but perhaps the role you played in my life was meant to be temporary. I didn't lose you to the confines of death, nor did I get to keep you in the way I wanted. You remain forever in a home inside my heart, a spot that shall always and forevermore belong to you.

There's a sculpture of you that I quite like. It sits in the rose gardens near my home, forever watching the sunrise as the roses surround you comfortably. I like to think that you're waiting for someone to return to you the same way I'm waiting for you to return to me. Perhaps you're waiting for your family.

One day, I know our eyes shall see each other's face again. I can only hope that the day comes soon.

Loving you always, Speranza,
Ezio Auditore da Firenze

----------

Rain falls against the Tuscan roads steadily. Everyone remains inside or huddled somewhere for shelter from the downpour, save for a single figure that moves slowly down the street. A hood masks their face, silver hair shining beneath it.

As the person moves, the raindrops fall against their hood in a soothing manner. The water makes the person feel at peace, not minding that they could grow quite damp and cold in this sort of weather.

The cloaked figure moves into a dreary looking rose garden, never slowing their advance as they move towards a statue of a female assassin; her blank eyes staring in the direction of the sunrise.

Slowly, the figure sits down, their aching bones feeling about ready to give out. They sit for a moment, a slim withered hand resting on their knee. They look up at the statue with a small smile gracing their lips. Slowly, they reach into their cloak pocket and pull out a tattered note.

The mystery person opens it, withered golden eyes reading over the words slowly. Thin fingers trace the last words lovingly.

Loving you always, Speranza,
Ezio Auditore da Firenze

A wheezing laugh fights through the person's shaking frame, breaking the steady noise of rainfall with an almost joyful sound.

"Oh Ezio," a feminine voice murmurs. "I've been loving you always too."