Chapter 16: Venezia

The early morning sky is alive with colour as the two assassins ride through the city towards the main road.

Speranza can't help but grin as she feels the rhythm of the horse beneath her and the buildings zipping by in blurs of brown, tan, and various splashes of red or blue.

They ride for hours, occasionally stopping for food and water. Eventually, Venice can be seen in the distance. The sun has risen high in the sky by now, and they slow the horses as they trot into the city.

"Follow me. The stables are over here," Ezio says, turning his mount.

She follows, and they drop the horses off at the first stable they find.

"Grazie, beyefendi," Speranza says, placing a few florins in the stablehand's palm.

"Oh! Grazie, mia signora!" The man grins, nodding his head in gratitude.

Ezio waits as she joins him again, and they start weaving through the crowds.

"Leonardo's house first?" he asks.

"Sì," she replies.

As they continue to walk, she gazes longingly at the rooftops. Ezio doesn't need to ask in order to know that she wishes to climb them.

Leo's house comes into view, and Ezio knocks on the door. It opens, and the artist's face lights up at the sight of the two assassins.

"Ciao, i miei amici!" he says, ushering us inside. "What brings you to Venezia?"

"We've started our hunt for Tarso," Speranza says, sitting down on a vacant chair.

"How was the healing process?" Leo asks.

"Long and boring," she replies, rolling her eyes. "I wasn't allowed to to do anything fun or remotely interesting, save for a few picnics."

"If you had been allowed, you could've hurt yourself more," Ezio reminds her. "Bed rest and slow days worked best."

Leo laughs, scratching the back of his neck.

"Either way, I'm glad you two are here. I've missed conversing with you," he says. "You're just in time for lunch!"

"Molto bene! I'm extremely hungry," Ezio admits, smiling gratefully.

"As am I," she agrees.

"Come come. Let's go and find something in the market!"

The three of them leave the house, and the two assassins pull their hoods down, trying to look more casual.

"The bakery probably has some fresh bread made by now," Leo comments.

"And some fruit would go well with that," Speranza suggests, looking towards the various produce stands in the streets.

"I'll eat whatever you put on my plate." Ezio smirks, glancing in her direction.

"There's the bakery. Follow me," Leo says.

Ciao i miei amici: Hello my friends

Molto bene: Very good