Chapter 21: Andato Ragazza

Speranza sits cross-legged on the ground, her eyes fixed on the lit up city in the distance. Behind her, the fire pops and snaps, throwing sparks into the air.

Leo was safe at his house, their masks put away and the festivities continuing without them.

She can still almost hear the music playing in her ears. She closes her eyes, revelling in the memory of Ezio twirling her around under the Carnevale lights. Right near the end, she felt so sure that he was going to kiss her. If it hadn't been for that...stranger, he would've.

She is wrestling with herself on the inside. To kiss or not to kiss? Love or not to love?

She couldn't deny that their relationship had grown strong in almost the year they had known each other, and although all her common sense battled against it, she couldn't lie to herself anymore. She had fallen head over heels for the assassin. He had stolen her heart, the way he always wanted to.

The real question is; does he really return her feelings?

Ezio sleeps soundly, his hood pulled down and his arms under his head like a pillow. He looks so peaceful when he sleeps, and she smiles lightly as she glances behind her, her heart fluttering.

She reaches into her pocket, pulling the piece of parchment from it. Unfolding it, her eyes widen.

I know.
TC

Her heart stops, and her breath comes in quick gasps. Tarso knows. It's exactly as she feared.

Why now? Why now? she asks herself.

She bites her lip, closing her eyes as her mind rushes for a solution. One thing outshines the other ideas, and it pains her to even think of it. The cool night breeze rustles her hair, and she opens her eyes.

It must be done, she thinks. To protect him.

She stands up, gathering her belongings and packing them onto her horse. She finishes swiftly, then pads around the dying embers of the fire and kneels down next to Ezio. She presses the note into his hand, hoping it will give him some insight on to why she had to leave.

She leans down and places her lips on his carefully, and he doesn't wake as she breaks away from the short kiss. She stands up, and he murmurs her name through the thick veil of sleep protecting the barrier between his dreams and his reality.

"I'm sorry, mio amore," she whispers, turning and disappearing into the cold night air.

Mio amore: My love