Chapter 4: Collegamento

"Ezio! What happened to you?" Mario Auditore asks, clapping his nephew on the the back. "Did you get Tarso?"

"No. The Templar attack didn't go too well. I was wounded." The assassin shakes his head. "It was a foolish mistake. I turned my back for a second."

"Well, you seem fine now, nipote. Did you help yourself out?"

"No, but that's what I wanted to talk to you about," he says. "I was saved by a woman; a fine woman, I should add. She saved my life."

"Oh, really? What is this maiden's name?" Mario asks.

"Speranza Chilometri. Does the name sound familiar?"

The elder man's face darkens slightly, and he nods. "Severo Chilometri was a good man. But, being good doesn't mean you aren't foolish."

"Her father?" Ezio guesses.

"Yes. I'm not sure if the story is mine to tell..." He clasps his hands behind his back. "He...tried to attack a Templar encampment on his own. He managed to kill most of the men, but those who survived brought the news to their officers. They murdered Severo for vengeance, and his family was forced to go into hiding." Mario pauses, stroking his chin, remembering. "Speranza was like normal maidens; bello, fair, she had her pick from the young men in the area. Now that I think of it, she sounds like you at that age."

"Uncle..." Ezio rolls his eyes as Mario laughs.

"But after her father was killed, she took up the torch and trained to become an assassin under her grandfather's guidance. She's very strong, very talented, but that didn't help her in the long shot."

"I don't understand."

"The Templars found out that she was becoming an assassin. They murdered her family, little by little, person by person. From what I know, she's a lone lupo. She doesn't let anyone get too close. Not sure why all of it happened though..."

"So, the Chilometris are all dead? Murdered by Templars?"

"Except for Speranza."

Ezio leans against a wall, his mind racing. His uncle says nothing, his face pained. He must've known Severo when he was younger.

"She was inducted into the order around the same time as you," he comments.

The younger assassin nods, and he keeps glancing towards the door. Part of him wants to find her again, but Italy is a big place, and she could be anywhere by now.

"I want to talk to her again. She was so...different."

"Don't waste your time. There are plenty more fish in the sea, and you could probably hook any of them." His uncle smacks his back again. "Be careful, Ezio."

"Of course, Mario."

"Remember, I'm heading back to Monteriggioni later. Are you going to come?"

"I will, but after a few more days here. I still have to find Tarso."

"Of course."

He pushes off the wall, striding towards the door. No matter what, he has to see her again.

----------

Ezio leaps onto the rooftops, climbing and jumping easily now that the injury is no longer hurting.

She couldn't have left Venezia so quickly, he thinks.

He climbs to the edge of a building, overseeing the entire city. Maybe, just maybe, he'll see her.

A figure in the distance waits near a bell tower. He climbs back onto the roof and zips towards them, hoping that it's her. As he gets closer, he rejoices in his stroke of luck. It is indeed Speranza, and she has her back to him.

"I would've thought you had left the city already," he says as he gets closer.

She jumps, and her eyes narrow when she sees him. He stops his advance, smirking in amusement.

"You shouldn't be near me," she warns.

"Why not? I wanted to see you again," the assassin says, moving closer to her.

"That's the problem."

"How so?"

"Let's just say that I'm...poison. Anyone who gets near me dies, and never of natural causes," she growls. "Please messere, if you value your life, you won't get close."

"Please, mia signora, call me Ezio." He places himself in front of her and she backs up, hitting the stone of the tower.

"I know the reputation you have among the ladies," she murmurs. "I won't be one of them."

He chuckles, leaning forwards so his hands rest on the wall on each side of her head, leaving her trapped between his arms.

"Why would I want to do that?"

"Why else would you search Venezia just to see me again?"

"You intrigue me, Speranza Chilometri."

"Try to turn it off." She pushes him away, careful to avoid his middle and instead placing her hands on his sturdy chest.

"Nubile giusto, please, let me see you again," Ezio says as she brushes past him.

"I'm no nubile giusto. Maybe I was at one time, but not anymore. I am an assassino, as are you." She turns her head towards him again, her caramel coloured eyes blazing. "I'm dangerous, in more ways than one. Stay away from me, Ezio."

She leaps off the roof, and he watches her fall into a hay pile before dashing away among the crowds.

He exhales, rubbing his forehead. This woman is really something.

Nipote: Nephew

Bello: Beautiful

Lupo: Wolf

Messere: Sir

Mia signora: My lady

Nubile giusto: Fair maiden

Assassino: Assassin