Chapter 20: Dance di Moonlight

"What do you think?" Speranza asks, touching the mask on her face. It's golden with intricate leaf patterns etched on it.

"You look molto bello," Ezio says, grinning from beneath his similar mask.

She smirks lightly, and he just knows that she's blushing underneath the disguise.

"Ready, i miei amici?" Leo asks, sweeping his cloak around his legs.

"Sì," they answer.

They head out into the streets, lit up in the cool darkness of twilight.

People flock to the main party area, and Speranza can't stop herself from smiling as she walks beside Ezio and Leo. Carnevale had always been one of her favourite times.

There's already music playing when they arrive, and floating lanterns light up the square as masked couples twirl each other around in synchronization with the music that's playing steadily.

"I will see you two later," Leo says, turning and heading in a separate direction.

Ezio and Speranza stand next to each other, watching the people laugh and dance. Ezio glances down at her, a small smile playing across his scarred lips.

"May I have this dance, mia signora?" he asks, holding his hand out to her.

"You may, buon signore," she answers, taking his hand.

In one swift motion, he's swept her away amongst the other dancers. She twirls and spins and turns expertly, filled to the brim with the excitement and wonder of Carnevale.

They keep dancing, Ezio laughing as he pulls her into his arms.

"You are molto bene," he murmurs in her ear, spinning her back out.

She laughs, moving her feet across the pavement fluidly. "One cannot simply grow up in a nobleman's home and not learn how to dance."

"I assume you had many suitors," he says, placing a hand on the small of her back and spinning her the other way, her dress billowing out behind her.

"Yes, I had many dances. None of them caught my eye."

"Come now, there must've been one or two."

"They were all very handsome, but none of them had the one thing I wanted."

He dips her down, pausing for a second as he holds her. She keeps her hands on his shoulders, and they stare at each other for a moment.

"What was that?" he whispers.

"Loyalty; to their families, their loved ones," she answers simply.

Ezio pulls her back up, and they come to a halt, her hands on his shoulders, his hands resting on her waist. His face moves closer to hers, his eyes reflecting a kaleidoscope of emotions.

"Speranza..." he whispers, his voice sending a delightful shiver up her spine.

"Ezio..."

He halts, their breathing quick as they remain close to each other. The noise of Carnevale seems to fade into muted mumbles, and the two assassins enter their own little world. The people are a blur around them, and they see nothing but the face of their partner.

As Ezio leans closer, someone bumps into Speranza, causing her to almost lose her balance.

"Woah!" she gasps, surprised.

The man who bumped her brushes past after a moment's hesitation, failing to offer an apology of any kind.

Ezio cusses under his breath. He had just gotten up the courage to kiss her, and that just had to happen.

Speranza glances to her skirts, where she can see a small piece of paper sticking out of the one pocket. She looks after the strange man, adjusting her mask and turning back to Ezio.

"Scusate," she says. "Shall we continue?"

He smirks and answers by moving away with her again.

I miei amici: My friends

Buon signore: Good sir

Scusate: Sorry