Chapter 10: Chispa

After dinner, Speranza bids goodnight to the Auditore family before Ezio escorts her to her bedroom.

He returns to the dining room swiftly, where his mother, Maria, and sister, Claudia, motion for him to follow them.

They head into the living room, settling themselves down. Drinks are already set out on the low table near the chairs, and Claudia immediately pours some liquid into a cup.

"I trust you're well, Ezio?" Maria asks, doing the same as her daughter.

"Sì. Everything has been rather relaxed," he replies, leaning back in the armchair.

"And Speranza?" Claudia asks. "What do you think of her?"

Ezio smirks, placing his hands in a steeple near his chin. "She's fascinating."

"In what way?" Maria asks, raising an eyebrow skeptically before sipping her drink.

"Mother..." He rolls his eyes.

"I don't want you using her, Ezio," she says, her face dead serious.

"Nor do I," Claudia adds. "From what she told us, you're lucky that she's even letting you help her."

"If this 'fascination' is simply you trying to get under her skirt-"

"It's not, Mother!" Ezio insists, his voice raised.

"I would hope so," Claudia says. "I like her."

"As do I," Maria agrees.

"And I. Like I said before, she's fascinating to me. She's nothing like any other girl I've met," Ezio says. "She's more than capable of taking care of herself."

"Good. If you try anything, she can take care of you in the way she sees fit," Maria says, her tone slightly dangerous.

"Naturalmente."

"I am quite tired. I think I'll head to bed," Claudia says, placing her cup on the table.

Ezio stands, embracing his sister. She kisses his cheek, looking up at him.

"You respect that woman. Capisci?" she asks.

"Sì, sister." Ezio nods.

She turns and heads down the hallway. Maria bids goodnight to her son before heading away too. Ezio picks up the used dishes and brings them to the kitchen before heading down the hallway towards his bedroom.

As he passes Speranza's room, he pauses. He pushes the door open a little, checking in on his guest.

Speranza sleeps soundly, her hair spread across the pillows in a halo of sorts. Her lips are parted slightly, her stomach rising steadily with every breath. She sleeps on her side, her arms clutching one of the many pillows tightly.

There are many beautiful women in Italy, and Ezio considers her one of the best.

A small smile spreads across his face. "Buonanotte Speranza."

He pulls the door shut with a soft click.

Naturalmente: Of course

Capisci: You understand

Buonanotte: Goodnight