Chapter 4 - Make Me Over

"Brian, give me back my card!" I yelled as I ran frantically through the house.

My little brother of seven years old climbed over the couch and headed towards the stairs- with my gold Visa in his hands.

"Ugh! Give it back!" I demanded as I trotted up the stairs aiming to grab the precious card from my brother's slimy hands.

"Ella, Ella, looks like a whale-a!" He sang.

Brian has been singing that rhyme since he learned to talk. He thinks he's so clever because he made up that stupid rhyme.

"Give it back you intolerable imbecile!" I screamed at him as he dodged my attempts to grab him by his shirt.

"I bet you don't know what that even means!" He sneered back, teasingly playing with the card in his hands.

I grunted in frustration as I took a swing at him. He fell back on the floor and I retrieved the card from his hands.

Then, the worst happened.

His screeches were so loud I'm pretty sure it shattered every window on the block. The pitch of his psychotic vocals nearly made my eardrums explode and my step-dad came running into the hallway where Brian was holding his arm.

"What happened?" He demanded to know.

"Ella pushed me!" He whined and pretended to soothe his uninjured arm.

"Elaine, is that true?" He asked.

"Yes, but he stole my-" I stopped myself. I can't tell my parents about this. "He stole my... Gift card."

"When did you get a gift card?"

"Uh-h... Wednesday? Todd gave it to me."

"Why would he...?"

"Because he loves me? I don't know!"

"Okay, well what's the gift card for?" He asked dubiously.

"Umm," I said and pretended to look down at the card as I walked over to my doorway. "Starbucks."

He gave me a look that told me he was suspicious and I avoided his eyes. I puffed out my cheeks casually and looked down at the ground.

"You don't drink coffee..." He added and I went stiff. Crap. Uhh...

"Well then I'll get a muffin!" I said loudly back and slammed the door in his face.

What if he grabbed or asked for the card? He would wonder how Todd managed to afford a $500 prepaid visa let alone give it to me! No one can know about it except for Preston. Danny found out on his own so I can't be blamed for that.

I need to be a lot more careful about this card. I went over to my dresser and hid the card underneath all my underwear and bras. Brian would never look there!

* * * *

I adjusted the straps on the dress I was currently wearing and took a good, long look in the mirror. This dress was a white and pink sheer-like material that reached my upper knee. The top was white and the skirt was pink. It was a beautiful dress, really, but I didn't think it looked marvelous on me as it did on the rack.

I took the pale pink jean jacket I picked out off the rack and put it on, which made the dress look a little better. I pursed my lips as I made the decision to get this one and began to undress. I put my regular clothes back on.

I stepped out of the dressing room, abandoning the clothes I rejected inside. i stepped up to the counter and handed the lady the clothes I was buying. She served me with a smile and gave me my clothes. Well that knocks of another $80 from my budget. I now only have $380 left. Maybe I should get my nails done? My legs waxed? Ow, painful, but then that will save time later. Maybe I should get special tools for my hair? Clips? Bracelets? Shampoos? Perfume? Make up?