Chapter 30 - I'll Be Home For Christmas

2 Months Later

"Alright, class. I have graded your final papers and I'll be handing them back to you," Our English teacher, Mrs. Porter informed us. She was our new teacher since our other English teacher had quit. "Once I give you your grade, you are dismissed. Have a great winter break."

Everyone stood up to collect their things as someone approached her desk after being called. I checked my phone to see if I had any messages, but as expected, there wasn't any. I didn't use my phone as much as I used to now. I was always texting someone usually, but now it just sat in my pocket. Amanda and I usually go days without texting. It seems like I only see her and Preston on Wednesdays and Sundays at church. They're officially together now. Of course, I was the last to know about it. I guess they don't have time for me anymore. Amanda still doesn't know what happened with Parker.

Brian calls me every few days or so, telling me how he's been and what he's learning about in school. He seems to be having a great time with my Dad. I miss him so much, but I'm glad I'll get to see him at Christmas!

Danny came home for Thanksgiving day and stayed for the weekend where we had a special sermon at the church. I didn't even talk to him once, but he didn't seem to care. I remember that we made eye contact whenever I was teaching the Children's class that Sunday and he came in the room to say goodbye to Max and Ariel, his little brother and sister. He was leaving right then so he could make it back to the school in time for something they were doing that night. He looked into my eyes for a good five seconds from about ten feet away before leaving the building. The kids were oblivious to how important that simple look was to me.

What have I been doing the past two months? Focusing on schoolwork, like I planned to do in the first place. Oh, and I dyed my hair! It's brown again instead of blonde-ish. It now looks like my original hair color. Between school, planning my lessons for my class, and Netflix, it's been a long and busy two months.

"Elaine," The teacher called out.

I slung my bag over my shoulder and walked up to her desk, feeling a sense of confidence since I really worked hard this time. I had to have gotten an A.

"Aw, sweet! I got a B+!" One of the boys I didn't know very well exclaimed to his friend as he walked away from the desk. "I just wrote it before I came to school, too."

"You're report topic was excellent and so were your main points," She began, which brought a smile to my face. "But, I couldn't pass you because of all the grammatical errors. You didn't indent, it wasn't double spaced, it had run-on sentences..."

My face fell dramatically as I stared at the paper she held out to me. A 58. A 58. Howcould she give me such a grade?

"But, why a 58?" I wondered out loud.

"I know you're trying, Elaine. That's why I want to help you pass. I'll send home a packet with extra credit curricular in it and you can do that over Christmas break. I don't want you to fail," She explained as a lump formed in my throat.

How could someone who just scribbled their whole paper down this morning get a B+, while I worked for weeks on this paper and I failed? That's just not fair.

It's good Parker and I aren't friends anymore so we wouldn't insist on giving me that scholarship. I'm stupid anyways.

"Okay, I'll do that," I agreed half heartedly as I took the thick packet she had pulled out from her desk drawer from her hands. It had to be at least one-hundred pages.

"If you do all of this, and even get less than half of them right,you will get at least a C in this class. That's just enough to graduate."

"Okay, thank you," I choked out before walking away from her desk.