Chapter 29 - Waters Rise

"Parker, what's going on?" I questioned him for the tenth time.

He hadn't spoken a word to me since we got inside the car. We were now pulling into my driveway but he remained quiet. His unresponsiveness annoyed me greatly, but I chose to be patient with him.

He exited the vehicle so I followed him. His facial expression remained blank, which worried the heck out of me. What is he going to say? Ugh, boys and their skill to hide their emotions.

I followed him up to the front porch where the light was on, but there was no light on in the house, indicating no one was home yet. Brian was with my Dad and my parents hadn't gotten home from work yet. I got my keys out and unlocked the door, but he stopped me before I could open the door.

"I want to tell you out here," He finally spoke.

"Why? What's wrong?" I could finally see a little sadness in his expression. Finally, some emotion.

A bolt of lightning shot across the sky then a roar of thunder clashed through my eardrums, making me jump slightly. And tonight's forecast: Rain, lighting, and scary thunder. Just great.

"I think it's best if we...-" Parker trailed off.

"If we what?" I wondered, hoping he'd finish the sentence.

The pitter-pattering of rain began to be heard around us as another rumble of thunder shook the atmosphere. A light breeze blew some cold mist on us from the bitter Autumn air. Sometimes, rain relaxed me, but at a time like this, it's just annoying.

He shook his head before smoothing out his hair to occupy his hands as he thought.

"What's wrong?" I said again to no avail.

He simply shook his head before looking down to his feet. He mumbled something like, "This is so hard," But I wasn't sure if that's correct.

"Please tell me-," I began to plead with a soft voice.

"We can't be friends anymore," He finally spoke before I could even finish my sentence.

Something formed a feeling in my chest at the realization of his words before the sound of rain became louder. He stood there, biting his lip with wet eyes. He didn't dare to look at me but instead stared out into the darkness.

"Why?" I asked, my voice cracking.

He held his hands in front of him as he looked into the rain, the downpour growing stronger and more violent. He took a shaky breath before saying, "You didn't do anything. I just think it's for the best."

He started to walk away but I grabbed his arm to pull him back. I furrowed both of my brows at the boy, who tried hiding his emotions again. I could tell because he was biting his lip.

I stared at him for a few seconds before stating, "I want an explanation."

He furrowed his brows as he thought for a moment. His gaze remained within my eyes, not once flicking anywhere else. I slowly let go of his arm and folded my own across my chest. His jaw clenched before he shook his head. He started to walk away again but I just followed him out into the rain.

"Elaine, please just go inside so you don't get sick again. You wouldn't understand so just please, please accept it," He begged as I felt my hair begin to start becoming heavier from the rain.

"No! Why would you just tell me you're ditching me and then not give me an explanation. Just give me a good reason," I demanded.

He hung his head to look at his feet without giving me a reply. Why would he just... Leave me like that? Why would he say we can't be friends?