Chapter 5 - The New Look

"Preston, I love it!" I squealed as I ran a few fingers through his new, luscious hair. We were taking the bus today since both of us wanted to save gas and I was nervous about today since it was the first day I would be wearing my new clothes.

He dyed it from light brown to dark, raven black. He had it cut so there was a small bump that stood firm in the front and then smooths down in the back. Almost like a 1950's styled hair, but less nerdy and not greased. You could just run your hands through it and it would bounce back.

"Yours too," He said and messed with a strand.

Today, I decided to wear the most casual thing I bought. A low cut, dark red t-shirt from Hollister, blue Toms, and last but not least, the longest pair of booty shorts I could find. They weren't as uncomfortable as I thought they'd be and found that to be a relief. Other than the fact that I felt naked, at least I could wear a semi-comfortable shirt. A little low for my liking, but not out of my comfort zone.

Preston was also wearing his new clothes and did a pretty good job picking them out. White V-neck, fit leather jacket, black jeans, and some Vans. He still wore his glasses, but they gave him a sort of nerdy-hipster look.

Other people at the bus stop had noticed our new looks, but didn't seemed phased. It probably wasn't really a shock to them for people to change. Everyone changes nowadays.

I heard the engines of the bus as they pulled around the corner of our street. Everyone filed into the cramped, yellow bus and took their usual seats. Me and Preston sat next to each other, me on the outside. The brabble of the other teenagers was at it's usual volume: maximum. I really wasn't in the mood for talking so I just leaned my head against the seat in front of me. I should've taken my car, I thought.

"Hey, Elly, love your hair!" A high, squeaky voice said from behind me.

I turned around to face a girl with bleach blonde hair who was smiling brightly at me.

"It's Elaine... But thanks," I plastered a smile on my face for her and turned back around.

Oh, and I attempted putting on a little make up this morning. Eyeliner, mascara, BB cream, and lip gloss. Hopefully that will make people start to notice a little change in me.

Upon arriving, I kept my eyes peeled for Danny. Not because I wanted to go and talk to him, but because I didn't want him to catch a glimpse of me in these clothes.

I quickly made the route to my locker, hoping to beat him there so I could get my stuff before he showed up.

But alas, I eventually heard someone calling my name from behind me. I groaned and put my text book down in front of my thighs to hide the fact I was wearing the scantily short clothing.

"Why are you doing that?" He asked, gesturing to my textbook.

"No reason..."

He gave me a skeptical look and I rolled my eyes.

I lifted up the book from my thighs and he beamed like he already knew that I was wearing them.

He definitely looked amused by it and asserted, "I figured."

"Don't even make a single comment about it or I will kick you where the sun doesn't shine," I threatened as I got my stuff out of my locker and he nodded.

"Then I'll make a comment about that paint on your face," He affirmed and laughed when I rolled my eyes.

"I thought guys liked the girls who dressed like sluts," I mumbled acridly.