Chapter 31 - A Dance At Midnight

"What happened with Parker?" He bit his lip after asking, like he was scared to ask.

I dampened my lips with my tongue as my breath hitched.

"He told me we couldn't be friends..." I answered, Parker's voice replaying in my head.

"Why?"

"He never told me why. I just... Accepted it. That's what he wanted me to do, so..."

"And you haven't talked to him since?" He asked as he leaned forward to grab a loose strand of my freshly dyed brown hair.

"No, I didn't try to talk to him. I was afraid of being rejected," I explained as he played with the strand in between his fingers. I watched from the corner of my eye as he twisted it around his finger.

"I like the brown hair better," He cracked a small half smile as he released the brown strand.

"Thanks, I dyed it a week ago," I informed him.

"It looks nice. So, you ready to go talk to Parker?"

"Wait, What? No! No, no, no. That's not a good idea," I stopped him. "I can't just walk up to him and ask him why we aren't friends anymore."

"And why not?" He wondered.

"Well, first of all, We have to get back inside before people think we've gone missing or something, and second of all, how would I know where he is? If I ever see him, it's usually at lunch in school or something from like halfway across the cafeteria. I don't know him anymore."

"Well, you have his number, don't you?"

"Err... Yeah?" I replied. I planned on deleting it from my phone a long time ago, but never did.

"Then call him," He insisted.

"No! That's weird. I haven't talked to him in like two months... It'd be awkward," I shied away.

"You haven't talked to me in two months," He replied, not even trying to hold back his smile.

I tried to contain my own impending smile before saying, "But you're different."

"Really..." He replied, his smile turning into a boastful grin before turning his back and walking away, swinging his arms in a cocky way.

"Oh, get over yourself," I teased before catching up with him. "Besides, I thought you didn't want us hanging out."

"But that was before I came back. Now that I'm here, he can't do anything hurtful to you without immediate consequences," He pointed out.

"So now you think you're some valiant, chivalrous Superman?" I joked.

"No, not at all. I think I'm the valiant, chivalrous Batman."

I rolled my eyes before walking ahead of him towards the entrance of the church. A question popped into my mind, but I knew I couldn't say it out loud. It'd start too much crap and now everything is okay so I don't want to ruin that. The question was on the tip of my tongue, fighting to get asked as Danny held the door open for me. I hesitated to take the offer.

"Something wrong?" He wondered with a small grin still on his face.

I stammered before finally getting my words to convey from my lips, "Y-Yeah..."

He let the door fall back shut before stepping closer to me. He put his hands in his jean pockets before standing over me.

"What's wrong?" He asked with concern.

Of course it was about Katie. It's the only thing left that I was unsure about. Why is she here? Where does she even live?

"Why-" I began but I was interrupted by someone.