Chapter 2

The first time I actually noticed Jake in a different way was when I was 14, I had just had just been stood up by Taylor at the park, he was supposed to meet me, I waited an hour then I finally received a text saying he forgot and that he was busy with Jo-Anne, his first girlfriend. At this time in my life i was crushing on my best friend, he was the most important person in my life, all up until I had found that his girlfriends came first.

It had started to rain as I was walking home. I was looking down at my feet as I slowly walked past the cemetery, when I heard a car horn beep from beside me. I looked up as the window rolled down, "Erica, jump in... you'll catch a cold walking in this weather." It was Jake, concern on his face as I shuffled to the car, closing the door behind me. Jake was 16 at this point he was in his sophomore year at high school where as I was just a freshman. Jake had wrapped his jacket around me, rubbing my arms to get the warmth back in them. We then drove home in silence, but as he stopped the car in my driveway I burst into tears, explaining what Taylor had done. Jake listened as he wiped the tears away from my face and pulled me into hug as I blubbered onto his shirt. "You're worth more than the world Erica, don't ever let anyone tell you you're not special" he whispered as the tears subsided. And to this day I always remember those words, of how important he made them seem. Of course Jake only saw me as Taylor's friend and nothing more. But that didn't stop me from falling for him.

Erica's point of view.

I knocked on Taylor's door the next morning, it was the weekend and we had arranged to go to see my dad together. "Hey Erica" Jake smiled as he opened the door. I blinked up the marvellous sight in front of me. Jake's hair was still a mess from sleeping, and he was shirtless, his bronzed chiseled chest was just like a model olstraight out of a magazine. I almost drooled, my mouth hanging open in awe. Jake cleared his throat a smile on his face as my eyes widened at how foolish I must of looked. "Sorry, I just... I mean you look different" I stammered, my cheeks blushed in embarrassment. Jake chuckled "Well thanks... I think." Oh what an idiot I am. "what are you doing here anyway, Taylor went out with a ravishing blonde about an hour ago" he wiggled his eyebrows making me laugh. "Said he wouldn't be back until tonight" He had carried on not noticing my sudden anger. I huffed annoyed "of course he did because I'm not as important as his stupid girlfriends" I ranted on annoyed. I can't believe him! He knew how important this was to me. "Look forget it, don't tell him I came by please" I whispered as I began to turn away. "Erica wait" Jake said as he pulled me to a stop. I looked up at him as he shook his head, clearly annoyed at something, "my little brother is such a blind idiot" he muttered to himself, I think. He smiled as he caught me staring at him. "Want some company?" He asked sincere, a huge smile on his face. I smiled back at his infectious grin "sure."

Jake sat next to me as I tried to clean up my dad's grave, pulling out all the dead weeds and placing fresh flowers in there place. He even sat by me as I talked to my dad about everything that has happened in the last 2 weeks, he hugged my shoulders as I began to cry and pulled me onto his knee and hugged me to his chest as the crying became uncontrollable. Just like that night he had told me the most important words anyone has ever told me. "You are worth more than the world Erica, don't ever let anyone tell you you're not special" he whispered to me once again as he wiped the tears from my eyes.