CHAPTER 8

CHAPTER 8
I watched Jace as he talked about the assignment. He didn't exactly talk like he had a passion for assignments but he talked as if he wanted to get a good grade.

"You're quite smart," I said. "You know that, right?

Jace quickly looked over at me and the corner of his mouth lifted up, "why do you say that?"

I shrugged my shoulders and looked out the front window, "just thought I'd let you know."

"Just because I skip class doesn't mean I don't care about my education." He replied a few moments later.

I looked back over at him. He didn't look or sound annoyed which made me breathe a little easier, " I guess... Just thought I'd let you know anyway."

"Thank you, Sweetheart," he winked.

We soon arrived at my house, and he parked in the driveway near my door which was nice seeing as I wouldn't have to walk to much in the cold.

"Here we are," Jace said while turning off the car.

"Thank you for the lift," I replied, grabbing my overloaded bag off of the floor.

Jace opened his door and walked around to mine taking my bag from my hand and giving me his hand to help me out of the massive car. When my feet touched the ground Jace put his large hand against the small of my back and guided me over to the front door waiting for me to unlock the door.

I took the bag from his hand and put it on the floor in the entrance way of the house.

I turned back to face Jace, "thank you again for the lift and this afternoon."

"You're more than welcome, thank you for coming and helping me on the assignment," he replied.

"We're partners, I'm not going to just leave you to do it all," I teased.

"Well thank goodness for that!" He exclaimed, wiping sweat away from his forehead as if he had been stressing about that this whole time.

I shook my head at the response feeling a smile come on but quickly suppressing, "goodnight Jace."

Jace smiled at me, "goodnight Alice. I'll see you tomorrow."

I nodded my head and watched him retreat back to his car, turning the lights on and then driving away.

I shut the door and locked it before grabbing my bag and walking into the kitchen grabbing a cup of water and getting the ingredients out for a toasted sandwich.

For some reason I found it weird that he used my name instead of his little nickname sweetheart.

The afternoon went incredibly well to what I thought it would be like. No one was home besides Jace and myself which was nice seeing as I didn't have to meet anyone. In a way though, it was a bit strange because Ai was there quite late and no one showed up.

Dismissing the thoughts, I grabbed out the assignment while I waited for dinner to cook and already started to scribble down a few ideas I had and the ones which Jace talked about in the car.

***
I was enjoying my burger in the noisy cafeteria when I was interrupted.

"You know what I think?" Jace said while sitting beside me with his own burger in his hands.

"That you can't leave me alone?" I replied, facing him with a raced eyebrow and a serious face.

I expected a retaliation at my statement but instead he grinned, "No, I can't seem to, can I?"

My cheeks felt a bit warm at his comment and I quickly looked back down at my burger, stuffing my mouth with another bite.

He laughed at my reaction.