CHAPTER 7

CHAPTER 7
Walking to my dull grey locker I noticed that there was something or more like someone there who was never there before.

Jace.

As I got closer, I noticed a large bruise on his cheek that wasn't there on Saturday, because he got hit on the other side of his face. He had his back against the lockers while looking down at his phone not seeming to be affected by they new injury.

Jace somehow knew that I was near him and his face shot up, looking straight at me and making me give a small gasp.

On Saturday night I predicted that he was going to have a wicked black eye but that wasn't all he had. On the other side of his face was a couple of scratches in the middle of a bruise and I knew immediately that they weren't from Saturday.

"Good morning, Sweetheart," he greeted as I got closer to him.

"What happened?" I demanded, ignoring the welcome.

I reached up so the tips of my fingers laid gently on his jaw and turned his head to the side giving me a better view.

He brought his arm up and scratched his neck, "another fight."

Leaving my head where it was but moving my eyes to look at his, he has a sheepish look on his face.

"Are you serious?" I asked.

"Afraid so."

I dropped my hand and stepped back, "did you get hurt anywhere else?"

He shook his head and I sighed.

"You should have a break if you can help it," I advised while opening my locker. "Especially with your ribs."

"Is that all?" I could hear the shock in his voice.

"What did you expect me to say?"

He leant his shoulders against the locker next to me and shrugged, "I don't know. Maybe to yell at me or something."

I almost smiled, "why would I do that?"

"I don't know. It just seemed like the normal thing to do."

I grabbed my books that I needed out and shut my locker.

"I can't tell you who to fight and who not to fight," I said facing him. "All I can do is hope you don't get too injured and I guess help you when you are."

He looked surprised, but before he could say anything else, the bell rung indicating it was time for class.

"Thanks for worrying about me, Sweetheart." He winked and started to walk off.

"I never said I was!" I yelled after him and saw his shoulders move indicating he was laughing at me.

***
As the school day came to an end, I stretched myself out in my library chair feeling my body pop back into it's places waking me up a bit and put the book I was reading back into its place on the shelf.

I grabbed my backpack off the floor and sauntered my way through the busy corridor outside to the front steps where Jace said he would meet me.

Watching the students laugh and talk with each other made me feel weird. I had never really stayed long enough to see how everyone acted after school but here I was, watching everyone.

"Hello, Sweetheart. You ready to go?" Jace asked once he finally came out of the school.

I nodded my head and was led over to Jace's red four wheel drive.

He held the door open for me, just like the last time I was in his car and shut it behind me, then walked over to his side hopping in.

The drive was silent except for the hum of the engine and I just looked out the window at the passing cars, houses and trees until I basically had no idea where we were. My eyes were moving around so fast trying to get a look at every single thing so find something familiar but when I couldn't that was when I felt my anxiety build up. I counted to four seconds breathing in my nose and then counted to six seconds, letting it slowly out of my mouth.