VIII. Love with a Side of Murder

Was it all a show?
Even the smiles?
The kiss felt like something
But I guess you were never mine;

Skye's P.O.V

"Hello? Hello! Skye, wake up!"

"Huh? What?!" I sit up straight and look wide eyed at Sarah.

"What's got you day dreaming in the morning?" She smirked.

"Nothing." I narrow my eyes though I can feel the blush on my cheeks. I stand up and go make a coffee for myself. Looks like I needed the extra dose. I barely paid attention to the coffee I had earlier since I came walking to the precinct with Christopher by my side. I still couldn't get the kiss out of my head. And then there was the one just a few minutes ago. God help me.

"Let me guess," Sarah leaned against the counter and I rolled my eyes. "Um... Christian? No wait, wait, it was something else." She then snaps her fingers, her eyes lighting up. "I've got it! Christopher! It's Christopher, isn't it?"

"I don't know, you tell me." I casually shrug and sit at the table.

"Oh please." Sarah snorts and sits besides me. "So, what's going on?" She asked so casually that it didn't feel right at all.

Our relationship isn't your typical cop/consultant one. We are straightforward with each other but we don't hate each other as well.

"Nothing much. What's going on with you?" I take a sip of my coffee and place it on the table.

"Same old boring stuff."

"Michaels, we got a case." Bentley pokes his head in and I'm thankful. I don't do conversations.

"Let's go," I swallow back my coffee, the liquid searing my throat. I throw the paper cup in the dustbin and follow Sarah and Bentley outside.

"Isn't that pretty?" I say with sarcasm lacing my voice as I take in the sight of a woman bludgeoned to death in her own apartment. It is, clearly, a crime of passion. "Looks like our killer had some serious anger issues."

"Amanda Parker, 25, killed with some blunt metallic object. Time of death between 5 to 6am." Scott gave us the requirements and I nodded.

"Nothing appears to be stolen. She worked as a waitress at a restaurant a few blocks from here." Sarah added.

"What could someone want with her?" I say more to myself than to Sarah. A woman who made just the amount to get through the day. Nothing was stolen, as Sarah said and she owned a pretty good apartment. "I'm going to go talk with some of the tenants."

"I'll join you," Sarah adds and we leave the apartment.

"Hello... uh, sir." I try my best smile as the big fat elderly man with beer stains on his shirt scratched the rough patch of a beard on his chin.

"Whadya want?" He says in his gruff voice and I inwardly wince. His breath stank of alcohol. When was the last time the guy brushed his teeth? I swear I saw some yellow thing walk around in there.

"NYPD, sir, may we ask you a few questions?"

"Shoot."

"Did you notice anything unusual happen around here? Maybe with Miss Parker, the woman who lives besides you?" I ask and Sarah is ready with a pen and notepad.

"No..." He scratches his chin but then his eyes light up, "oh yeah, there was that incident."

"What incident?" Sarah asks.

"Some guy came here a few days ago. Bangin' her door early mornin'. They had a huge argument and when I went tell them to keep it down, I saw him storming off. The lady was crying."