Chapter 47

"Carrier? You say it like its some sort of disease." Bella questions, her brows furrowed in confusion. I was too confused.

A gene. A gene which someone like Carlisle, who has lived for over three hundred years has never encountered before. This is just madness. How is this even possible? Bella is human, apart from not being to hear her thoughts and her scent, she is much like every human I have encountered. 

"Possibly. I'm not quite sure of the extent on the gene yet." He tells her.

"Carlisle-" I begin, taking a deep breath. "This gene your talking about, do you think its what caused the transformation?" I asked him slowly.

He paused or a minute.

"I can't be sure. My theory is that this 'connection' between you and Bella, they way Bella's scent was so strong to you, was like bait. Maybe if from day one, if you would have drank Bella's blood you would have changed. But this gene, its kind of like a mutation. It shouldn't be in the genetic structure yet it is. I didn't notice it before with your blood Edward, but when I saw Bella's, I could spot it. Not even the scanner could detect the gene its like its shielded off." He explains.

"But surely somewhere out there other vampires have had the same connections with humans and drank there blood. There is not legends of a humans blood changing a vampire." I pry.

Carlisle smiles slightly, setting the older down.

"Maybe there has been, we just do't know. Plus I did say it was a theory, I could be completely wrong." He points out.

Fuck, this is so messed up.

"But this gene, its not dangerous is it?" Bella speaks up, her voice quite.

"To be completely honest with you Bella, I'm not sure."Carlisle tells her, and I see Bella's face fall.

My heart jumps a little at Carlisle answer, and I pull Bella even close to me, feeling her tremble in her arms. We need to know what this gene is. 

"Carlisle, run tests, any tests, just find out what it is."I demand, tucking Bella's head into my chest protectively.

"I will do my best to find out some answers. I may need to visit the Denials...maybe the Voltori-"

"No, not the Voltori, they can't get involved in this."I refuse point blank. 

Carlisle nods in agreement.

"I promise you both I will find out what this is. If you notice anything strange please tell me. Bella, you've lived with this all your life, has anything strange ever occurred?" He asked her and she shock her head not daring to look up as she spoke.

"No." She mumbled into my chest.

He sighed.

"Okay. Edward, make sure Bella gets home safely before the chief comes around and takes us in for kidnapping his daughter. Then both of you, back to school tommorow. I know I've given you time off Edward to get used to everything, but we still shouldn't draw attention to ourselves.Oh, and Bella, be careful on your leg, it may be healed, but from what I heard last night, you didnt give it much of a rest." He teased, lightening the mood.

It did just that for me, as I grinned. I so wanted to see Bella's face, but unfortunately it was still buried in my chest.

--------

02/09/2015

Oh yeah...If we have to go back to school then so do they!