Chapter 24: Healing

Jim woke up a few hours later. Naomi was by his side, ready to kiss him when he was awoken. Jim sluggishly tried to make himself sit up, but his whole body protested in pain and stiffness. 

"Ugh." He muttered, laying back down. His pressed his injured hand to his stomach wound, wincing in pain. Naomi kissed him and lightly set her hand on his cheek.

Seven stitches were in his cheek, holding a cut closed. His hand had to be stitched on both sides, he couldn't move his fingers much for the possibility of ripping the stitches. Arching his back could rip the stitches on his stomach, therefore his movements were restricted.

"Jim, as you've probably figured out, don't move too much." Naomi said, holding his un-injured hand. "You need to stop being so stressed. You keep loosing weight, it's not healthy."

"I know. It's hard to not be stressed." Jim mumbled, defending himself. "Is Chris okay?"

"She's fine. What happened?" Naomi said, concern on her face.

"Thank God." Jim muttered before telling the whole story about Frank. Naomi kissed him again, sympathy and gratefulness filled her.

"You're the best father and husband anyone can ask for." Naomi whispered to Jim.

"I want to see Chris." Jim said, gazing into Naomi's eyes. He wanted to make sure himself that his daughter was okay. Of course he wanted the twins to be okay, but Chris was the one with him when all of this happened.

Naomi nodded and called Tegwyn to bring Chris. Tegwyn walked in with Chris just above her large stomach. Thirty one weeks pregnant is pretty big. "She cried all night, dad helped me." Tegwyn said, handing over the sleeping baby carefully.

"It's good he helped, you need your rest. I'll take her back now." Naomi said, rocking Chris a little bit. Jim's face lit up when Naomi walked back into the room with the baby.

"I'm glad she's okay." Jim mumbled, careful not to wake Chris. She yawned a little bit, but stayed asleep.

"Chekov should wake soon. Bones said it should be a couple more weeks." Naomi informed, trying to start a conversation.

"That's good. I missed having him on the bridge." Jim muttered, smiling. It had just dawned on him that Frank wouldn't bother him, or his family, ever again.

"You're off of work for two weeks." Naomi blurted out, wishing she could take it back. Jim hated not worked. He sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Why?!" He whined, upset.

"You need rest and a break from stress." Naomi said, trying to calm his nerves.

"I can't take a break. At least let me be captain, not Spock. I won't be in the bridge, just at home." Jim begged, trying to convince Naomi otherwise.

She shook her head. "No, you need your rest ."

"Ugh." Jim sighed looking back down at Chris. "Guess it's you, me, and your brothers for a while."