Chapter 1

(3rd person p.o.v)

 "Michael, come on man. It's only a few months, you can't miss him that much already."

Ray groaned, trying to get a reply from Michael, who had held himself in his office for the third time this week. He tried turning the doorknob, but it had been locked.

"We really have to do something about this. This isn't like him at all." Jack said, leaning against the wall. 

"Well, at least he's working," Burnie stated, opening up a can and walking down the hall. "The minute he stops showing up for work is when I'll start seriously worrying."

 Ray sighed, knocking on the door once more. 

"Michael, open the door."

"I just want to be alone, Ray."

Ray felt a little better, at least his friend acknowledged him. But that wasn't enough.

"Michael, come on. Let's go to lunch, we can talk there."

The door unlocked, and a sleep deprived Michael stood in the doorway. He sighed, running a hand through his messy hair. 

"Hey, Ray." Michael said weakly.

Ray was shocked to see his friend in such an awful state, but placed his arm around him as they walked out of the office.

As they drove, Ray managed small talk with Michael, trying to get answers from him.

"What's going on, Michael?"

"I don't know, man. I really don't know." He sighed.

"Ever since Gavin-"

Michael stopped him. "Please, don't. Don't say his name."

Ray was perplexed about his friends feelings towards Gavin's name. What had changed? 

"Ever since he left, you've done nothing but sulk and be antisocial. I thought you of all people would have been overjoyed about his departure."

 "So did I. I just, ugh." Michael buried his head in his hands.

Ray parked in front of a small cafe, not too far from the office. The two walked into the building, standing behind the two other people waiting to place orders. Once they were finished, Ray greeted the waitress with a bright smile with a sluggish Michael behind him. Ordering two coffees and a strawberry muffin for himself, Ray took the drinks and walked over to a small table for two by the window. 

Michael sat down, setting the muffin wrapped in saran wrap in front of Ray. As he sipped his warm coffee, Michael took a look outside. 

Everything reminded him of Gavin. The sun outside, the people smiling and laughing, the bright orange paint of the cafe, 

 It was ridiculous how much Michael thought about him. He should be celebrating!

Ray sat down in front of him, munching happily on his muffin. Michael smiled, laughing at his friend.

"Stop laughing. These muffins are my life." Ray stated, finishing his treat.

"So, what seems to be the problem?" He asked, sitting up.

Michael sighed, taking another sip of his drink. "I honestly have no clue. Ever since Gavin left, I just- I don't feel the same." 

"What do you mean?" Ray asked, confused.

"I don't feel like myself. It's as if a part of me left with him. He's gone, and I can't feel happy about it, and believe me, I tried. It's like something in me refuses to be happy about him leaving."

"You could always call him, or tweet him." Ray suggested, feeling sympathy for him.

"I do. It's just not the same." Michael said, head down. 

"And let me guess, it makes you angry because you have no idea why you're longing for someone who annoys you to no end and he won't be back for awhile and that makes it even worse so you decide to stay away from everyone and everything until he gets back, right?"

Michael stared, mouth dropped. How could Ray read him that easily?

"I don't-"

"Look, I understand how you feel. Hell, maybe Gavin misses you just as much as you miss him." 

With that, Michael's cheeks got hot. He looked down at the table to avoid being caught. 

"Maybe." He muttered.

"How about you write him a letter?" Ray asked.

Michael scoffed. "A letter? A fucking letter? How girly is that?" 

Ray laughed. Michael sounded like his old self. "Dude, I'm just giving suggestions. Seriously though, why not? I'm sure Gavin would love it."

Michael smiled, thinking of making Gavin happy made him happy. 

"Fine. I'll write him a fucking letter." Michael said, getting up and walking out the cafe with Ray, ready to get back to the office and thinking about how to start his letter.