Chapter 14

"Yes, come in, Miss. Stephens." Nick says. She comes in smiling cockily at me.

"I bet that's why she was in the copy room." Jared whispers to me.

"No shit." I say. She comes over and stands by Jared. I clench my fists.

"Miss. Stephens... today you brought me this conversation." Nick says. She nods. "Who is it between?"

"Mr. Cruz and Miss. Parker." She states giving me a glare.

"How did you say you received this?" He asks.

"Mr. Cruz sent it to me. I called him during work, not knowing who it was. After talking, he sent me screenshots of his and Miss. Parkers conversation. He... wanted me to personally share the photos with you." Hailey explains. Nick nods. Why would Anthony ever send fake messages?

"He personally?" He asks.

"Yeah. He said even though you guys are rival companies, he is happy to help." She says. I snicker quietly. Obviously she hasn't talked to Anthony yet. Anthony would never 'help' anyone he hates. I frown after a second of thinking.

"He said that?" Nick questions.

"Yes." Hailey says. Jared snickers. I elbow him. Obviously, I was set up.

"Miss. Stephens... when did Mr. Cruz say these were from?" Nick asks.

"Just recently. Friday night. The AM is Saturday morning." She replies. Nick glances at the papers on the desk. He squints.

"I'm sorry, Miss. Stephens.. But that's impossible." He says. I look at him like a dear in headlights. What?

"W-What do you mean?" She asks.

"I was with Miss. Parker most of Friday night." He says. My face falls. Hailey's jaw drops as Jared looks at me with disbelief. "Mr. Cruz also visited that night. There is no way he would ever be 'happy' to help." Hailey stutters. He did not!

"Or maybe... last Friday.." She trails off. Nick shakes his head. She looks at me then him again. "Y-You can't do this! T-This is boss employee relationship! Your business could get ruined if I said something."

"Well either way, Miss. Stephens... you're fired." Nick says. I cover my mouth almost gasping. She angrily struts out of the office. I realize Jared still staring at me. Oh, I have a lot of explaining to do!

"You and boss man?" He questions either shocked and or amused. I stutter. I look at Nick. He stares at me.

"Mr. Zimmer... can you deal with that client?" Nick asks.

"Yes sir." Jared says. He leaves, closing the door.

"Y-You just-" I start.

"I know." He states.

"Why?" I ask.

"I don't know." He says. I stare at him. He has that 'shit what did I just say' look.

"I'm going to go-" I start backing up.

"No" He says. His eyes meet mine. "Don't leave." I stay put. He comes a step closer. "Gabriella, ever since I met you, I couldn't get you out of my head. After the past month... you're all I can think about. I hate it because all wanted was a fling. Nothing more." I nod.

"I kno-" I start.

"I want to be with you, Gabriella. No fling." He says. I nod slowly. But he can't because he is not ready for anything more. "I don't care what I said before. I want to try."

"Wait... try what?" I ask.

"Try being with you." He says. "I would not stick up for a fling, I would not fight any guy for a fling, I would NEVER sacrifice my company for a fling or care about a fling. I worry and care about you Gabriella. I'd sacrifice my company for you, I'd fight worthless douche bags for you... I'd stick up for you."

"So, you're a cheesy romance?" I ask. He squints. "Nick if you aren't ready ... don't force it."

"I'm not forcing it. I want it." He says. "I'd like to date you... properly." My insides jump.

"I don't know." I say pretending to think.

"It's not a question. It's a statement." He says. I raise my eyebrows. "And I am not taking no for an answer."

"Than... okay... Mr. Hanson." I say.

Later, Jared and I get into the elevator. He rambles on about Nick and I. I already want to rip my head off.

"How did I not know it was him? So many signs." He finishes... until he thought of more. "Di-"

"Jay, shut up!" I say. The doors open releasing us. We walk out. I notice Nick coming out of Starbucks. He joins us.

"So" Jared starts. Nick shoots him a glare. Jared sucks his lips into his mouth. Outside, Nick puts his arm around my waist.

"I'll be by around 6." He says.

"Okay, perfect." I say nervous. Jared puts an arm around us. Nick stares at him.

"Hey, you love one, you love both." Jared says.

"Jay!" I growl. "Love has never been mentioned!"

"Until now." He says. I shoo him away.

"I'll see you." Nick says. I smile.

" See you." I say. Awkwardly, I withdrawal myself from his arm and walk to my car. I open the door and stop. I bite my lip. I sigh and turn to look back at where Nick is... or was. He stands behind me. I stare into his eyes sharing a smirk. He leans down and kisses me. I kiss him back, pulling him closer to me. It may have been later that night, but Nick did bring me out on our first date... even though it may have ended like a fifth date would. Maybe it was meant to be this way after all. I guess I was always cut out to be the Bosses Assistant.

A little over a two years later, Hanson Inc still runs with Nick as the boss. We moved in together a few months ago. Also he has proposed to me just recently. Our wedding is in 7 months. Jared finally found a girl that is his description of perfect. She is actually friends with Hooters! Anthony and Hailey did not date. Anthony moved across the country and started a new company. Hailey, no one has really ever seen her since that one day. Rumor has it she works as a waitress out of town. Oh and from that one night Anthony and Nick fought, something crazy happened. From Nick's and my mistake... well okay my mistake of being too drunk to function and remember everything... there is now a little munchkin running around. The heir to Hanson Inc.