A Pirate's Life

Third Person P. O. V.

Everything was grey as the ship sailed silently through the waters. A thick fog laid on the ocean, the sailors and passengers on the ship were worried they might hit a reef, or sail into another ship. Soon, a sound broke through the silence. On the bow of the ship stood a young Elizabeth Swann, softly singing the pirate song Drink Up Me Hearties Yo Ho.

"Drink up me hearties yo ho. We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot. Drink up me hearties yo ho. Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me. We extort, we pilfer, we filch and sack, drink up-"

At that moment, a hand gripped her shoulder causing her to gasp. She looked over her shoulder, eyes wide and her heart beating fast, only to find one of the sailors.

A man called Joshamee Gibbs.

"Quiet, miss. Cursed pirates sail these waters. You're going to bring them down on us if you keep singing."

"Mr. Gibbs, that will do," a voice spoke.

They turned and found Lieutenant Norrington, standing behind them. Governor Swann standing a foot behind the Lieutenant.

"She was singing about pirates." Mr. Gibbs replied, taking a step away from the young girl. "It's bad luck singing about pirates with us mired in this unnatural fog."

"On your way," Norrington ordered him.

"Aye, Lieutenant." Mr. Gibbs muttered, walking away from Elizabeth and pass Norrington.

He came to a stop by a rail holding the ropes to the sails.

"It's bad luck to have a woman on board too," he opened a canteen and took a swig. "Even a young one."

Elizabeth, in her innocence, told Lieutenant Norrington that she believed meeting a pirate would be exciting.

"Think again, Miss Swann," Norrington gave her an amusing smile, standing beside her at the bow of the ship. "Vile and dissolute creatures, the lot of them."

He looked out at the horizon, at least, as far as he could with the fog surrounding them.

"I intend to see to it that any man who sails under a pirate flag or wears a pirate brand gets what he deserves."

He looked down at Elizabeth with a smile.

"A short drop and sudden stop."

Elizabeth looked up at the Lieutenant, her eyebrows knitted together, not understanding what he meant. She looked to her father hoping he would explain, but he said nothing.

She noticed movement in her peripheral and turned to Mr. Gibbs. He grabbed the ribbon tied in a bow around his neck, lifted it up and tilted his head back while sticking his tongue out. He was acting as though he was on the gallows.

Elizabeth gasped softly, her eyes wide in realization. She looked back up at Norrington, about to speak when her father stepped forward.

"Lieutenant Norrington, I appreciate your fervor," he said, glancing at his daughter, "but I'm concerned about the effect this subject will have on my daughter."