The Battle

Arabella's P. O. V.

Once the pirates found the oars, they all returned, climbed into the boats and rowed back to the ship. The entire way, I looked out over the water, trying to see through the fog. I was trying to figure out how Jack and Will got here, and hoping Will and Lizzie escaped.

Twenty minutes later, the boats arrived at the Pearl. On deck, Jack was stripped of his hat, coat and weapons, then we followed Barbossa into his cabin. Immediately upon entering, Barbossa sat at a round table in the middle of the room. Jack was standing, beginning to strike a deal with the pirate captain, while I sat on a sofa out of the way.

"You expect to leave me on some beach," Barbossa spoke after Jack finished. "With a name and your word on it, and watch you sail away on my ship?"

He let out a small chuckle when he finished.

"No," my brother shook his head, walking around the table to stand across from Barbossa. "I expect to leave on some beach with absolutely no name at all, watching me sail away on my ship, and I'll shout the name back to you. Savvy?"

His ship? Jack used to captain the Black Pearl?

"That leaves a problem."

"What problem?" Jack asked.

"Leaving me on a beach with nothing but a name and your word on it being the one I need."

Jack was quiet as he looked down at a tray of apples.

"Of the two of us," he began to sift through the apples. "I'm the only one who hasn't committed mutiny. So, we'll be trusting my word."

Jack sat down, a green apple in hand, kicking his feet on the table.

"I should be thanking you though," he began, till I spoke.

"'Thanking him?'" I repeated.

Sparing me a glance and a small smirk, he continued.

"If you hadn't betrayed me and left me to die, I would be cursed just like you," he took a bite of the apple. "Funny, isn't it?"

Barbossa only hummed, staring at the apple. Jack followed his gaze, before holding the apple out to him, silently asking if he wanted a bite.

"So, Jack was captain?" I spoke, drawing their attention. "Of the Pearl?"

"I was," he answered swallowing the bit of apple. "You want one Belle?"

"Thank you," I nodded, smiling.

He leaned forward, grabbed another green apple and tossed it to me. Easily catching it, I took a bite of the tart fruit.

Footsteps sounded and we turned to the cabin doors, watching Bo'sun come in.

"We're coming up on the Interceptor, Captain."

At that moment, the monkey screeched, hopping off its perch and onto the table. Jack flinched when the monkey hopped over his feet, scrunching up his face as he watched the monkey run out to the deck.

Barbossa stood, following the Bo'sun out of the cabin. Jack and I followed, my mind racing with questions.

Outside, Barbossa climbed the stairs to the helm, as Jack went to the rail. Jack leaned out, staring ahead and I copied him.

In the distance, a small ship with tall masts and large sails could be seen. My brother immediately left the rail and climbed the stairs, the Bo'sun coming up behind him. Taking another bite, I stood at the foot of the stairs, watching my brother.