Elizabeth's Rescue

Arabella's P.O.V.

When we arrived at the fort, Michael was standing outside waiting for us. Once the carriage came to a stop, the driver hopped down and opened the door. The Governor exited first, then he stood beside the door, helping his daughter out.

When I began to exit the carriage, a hand was held in front of me. Since my gaze was focused on the carriage steps, I took the hand and let them help me out. It wasn't till I stood a foot away from the carriage did I look up at the man who helped me.

I thought it would've been the driver, or Governor Swann, but it was Michael. I smiled in thanks and brought my hand to my side.

"Come along," Governor Swann spoke, a gracious smile playing on his lips.

Anticipation shone brightly in his eyes as he led Elizabeth, her hand tucked in the crook of his elbow, inside the fort for the ceremony. Michael held his left arm out to me, smiling gently. We were three steps behind his family, as I accepted his arm, heat rising to my cheeks.

Governor Swann left the three of us to stand in the crowd, as he continued walking to the front. I stood in between the twins, Michael on my right and Lizzie on my left. Almost immediately after the Governor took his place, the ceremony began.

A procession of soldiers carrying rifles, in two rows with a solitary soldier leading, marched into the fort. The first four soldiers in the front were playing drums they had strapped around their bodies.

Soon, they came to a stop. The soldiers with drums stepped out of formation, and stood to the side. The two rows of soldiers turned, their backs facing each other.

"Two paces march!" The solitary solider that lead the procession shouted.

They took two steps as Norrington came into few at the back of the fort.

"Right about face!"

The soldiers, in unison, brought a foot back and turned on their heels.

"Present arms!"

They held their rifles at an angle in front of them, so only the tips of the bayonets almost touched. Once this was done, Norrington began to walk at a brisk pace towards the Governor.

When he reached the end, Governor Swann took out the sword he requested be made and turned to face the soon-to-be Commodore. Norrington unsheathed the sword presented to him, and inspected it, before he was promoted.

As this happened, I noticed Lizzie shift slightly, fanning herself.

"Are you alright?" I whispered.

She nodded her head and gave a small smile, trying to assure me, but I knew otherwise.

"Is it the corset?" I kept my eyes glued on the Governor and the newly appointed Commodore.

She nodded, her smile turning into a grimace.

"If it gets too uncomfortable, let me know. I'll find someplace you can go to loosen it."

"Thank you, Bella."

I nodded.

After the ceremony, the musicians began to play, and the guests and officers began to socialize. I stayed close to Lizzie, waiting for her to say the word. She was getting more and more uncomfortable, but I wasn't going to push.

Lizzie and I were having a conversation with some other young women before they walked off. As soon as they were gone, I turned to her.