Chapter 9: Somebody's Heartbreak

A/N: So here it is guys! I did something a little different with this chapter and I hope you like it as much I do! This one turned out to be pretty long because there was a lot to fit in. I fell in love with this chapter as I kept writing!

Helpful hint: I use a different line break in this one (<><><>) and it's the start of a flash back. When you see the normal one ( _____ ) it's back to normal :)

"I guess that all I'm tryin' to tell ya, is a minute with you is better than two without. Oh, I won't be a fool but I can't play it cool so I'm playin' safe and I'm breakin' the rules. I'm wishin' I had what I know that you got so if you're comin' my way then please don't stop." ~Hunter Hayes
_________________________________________________________________

Seven days. One week. That's how long it's been since Rick heard anything from Kate. He's texted and called so many times he lost count. Each and every time there was no answer and Rick was tired of waiting around. Determined, he dialed the now memorized number one last time. This was it, he thought, if she didn't pick up this time, he was done. He couldn't go on like this anymore.

He impatiently plopped down onto his couch and waited. On the third ring or so he heard a faint noise right outside his door. As he got closer and closer he began to hear the slight beat it had. Was that music? Damn teenagers, he thought to himself. Even more agitated than before he walked to his front door and flung it open ready to tell them to turn the volume down.

It took him a minute to register the sight before him. "Kate?" he said, barely audible.

When she didn't reply or move, he took another glance over her, starting at her feet. She had on black leggings and a loose fitting white t-shirt. Even in this laid back look with a messy bun, she was still the most gorgeous woman he'd ever seen. He looked her straight in the eye, ready to ask her the billion questions running through his head when he noticed her red and puffy eyes and dark circles.

"Kate, what's wrong?" He asked tenderly.

Kate couldn't take it any longer and flew into Rick's chest, wrapping her arms tightly around his waist. She immediately felt him squeeze her back and she melted into him. "Talk to me, Kate."

She couldn't talk. Not yet. She shook her head on his chest in reply. He didn't want to pry for the answer, so he simply pressed his lips to her forehead and held on tighter.

Soon, Kate pulled away and looked up into his baby blues. "What is it?" Rick asked concerningly.

Kate shook her head, "I don't know what to do. Just..." she struggled, "just make the pain go away. At least for a little bit."