Chapter 10: Knee Deep

A/N: yesssss! I made my update!!! Barely but I made it! Boy, it's been one heck of a week, let me tell you. Sorry it's late. But it's a long one so I hope that makes up for it!

"Sunrise there's a fire in the sky. Never been so happy, never felt so high, and I think I might have found me my own kind of paradise." ~Zac Brown Band with Jimmy Buffet
_________________________________________________________________

Kate woke early the next morning to a small, bony knee jabbing her in the stomach. Alexis was draped haphazardly over Kate's entire body. Both knees were bent up into Kate's side, Alexis' left arm thrown over her neck, and her head nestled into Kate's shoulder. Being extremely careful not to wake the redhead, she slowly untangled her body from Alexis. With almost no trouble, she managed to climb onto her feet.

She took a second to look over Alexis and she couldn't keep the smile away. Taking a step to the bed, she adjust the blankets and lightly kissed her forehead.

Alexis eyes fluttered open. "Kate?" she mumbled, her voice packed with sleepiness.

"Yeah, Lex, it's me," Kate pushed a hair out of Alexis' eyes. "Go back to sleep, sweetie. It's early."

"Mhm," she closed her eyes again and fell back into her plush pillow.
__________

Kate tiptoed down the steps, trying not to wake Rick either. When she reached the bottom, she halted. It was 5 a.m., what was she suppose to do?

Before she could decide anything, or even think straight, she needed her coffee. She walked into the kitchen like she'd been there a million times before and brewed her coffee in Rick's expensive (and complicated) espresso machine. The machine sizzled, buzzed, and steamed and in no time she was hunched over the island counter with the mug between her hands.

She felt the sudden urge to run. What was she doing there, standing alone in his kitchen in such a domestic way. She didn't deserve this, didn't deserve him - or his daughter, for that matter. Again she felt the same lingering feeling that she gets when ever she gets close to someone. Will he disappear just like everyone else? Will it even last? What is it?

Kate needed to get out. She was suffocating. She frantically searched the drawers for a pen and paper and wrote a note. She hesitated, not knowing what to write. As much as she needed to leave and as worried she was about everything, she was excited for their beach day and she couldn't back out on Alexis. She wanted to be there, here, with him and his daughter.

I don't know where I would be without you. You always know the right thing to say and just the way to make me smile, and I will get that kiss eventually. Call you later, I have a surprise ;) XOX KB
P.S. Sorry I had to take off

Kate scrambled to find her purse and rushed out the door. Time to tackle her beach day with the Castles.
__________

Rick stirred on his bed and rolled over to check the time. It was early. Too early for him to plant his feet on the ground for the day.

Rick rolled over onto his side and took a deep breath. The smell of freshly brewed coffee filled his nose. That's weird, he thought. He's eyes sprung open when he remembered the events of last night. The way Kate craved his comfort, the way she bravely shared her life story, the way she spoke about her mother, the way she hugged his daughter, and the way she fell asleep cradling Alexis safely in her arms. He quickly connected the dots - Kate brewed the coffee. She was still there.