Chapter 21

I stare in awe at my custom made prom dress for me. My mom knew ahead of time that Dylan was going to ask me so she has been working on it for a while now. It's pink! It looks very similar to the dress Aurora wore in sleeping beauty. My favorite princess. But my mom added some more beading and a more modern flare to it. It's perfect. I zip up the dress bag it's in and hang it back up. My mom surprise me with it after the wedding, yesterday. Samantha and dad are on their honeymoon right now, backpacking across Europe. They won't get back till 2 weeks before graduation but I don't mind. It is a trip they very much deserve. I decide I need new accessories to go with my gown so I run down the stairs as fast as I can shouting, "mom, I need to go shopping for prom!" i take the last step and turn the corner. In the doorway is my mom. With her luggage right behind her. I stop and stare but only for a moment.
"Mom... What are you doing?" I ask taking a hesitant step forward.
"Andy... dear... I thought you were trying on your dress..."
"I was....What are you doing?" I ask again. But I know the answer I just need to hear her say it for herself.
"Well, something came up... I have to go back to the shop. You understand don't you?" she asks shyly.
"Of course I understand... what I don't understand is why you are leaving without telling me." I say more sternly, keeping my distance from this woman.

"I left a note with Lotte."
"A note? you were leaving with just a note behind again? Come on, Amanda. You can't keep doing that!" I take a deep breath when I saw her distressed expression.
"Will you be back for graduation?" I say through clenched teeth.
"I don't know if I will be able to make it. I'm sorry, Andy. But it's just been hard keeping up with work when I have all these distractions around me---"
"So I'm a distraction?" I nearly shout.
"No. Andy. Of course not. It just hasn't been easy being away from the office."
"Well it hasn't been easy growing up without a mom either!"

We stare each other down, trying to win this unspoken argument without leaving any personal damage but this is all personal. "if you leave right now, don't ever come back. If you walk out that door, it stays shut for ever. What's it going to be?" we stare at each other but eventually she looks at her shoes then takes that step outside. The door forever shutting behind her.