Chapter 4

Chapter 4

“Time is up.” Said the peacekeeper. Finnick’s eyes met mine one last time before I left. I walked out of the cold room and I felt as the tears began to form in my eyes. Sadness, desperation, fear, confusion, anger... All these feelings began to build up inside me, spinning around my head until I couldn’t think anymore. I wanted to scream. Scream until I lost my voice. I hated this, all of it. I hated the stupid games, I hated the reaping, but most of all; I hated the Capitol, for taking away my best friend. I saw my parents waiting for me. I also saw Finnick’s dad. I’d seen him around a few times, he was one of the best fishermen in the District. I remember the way Finnick looked up to him, and the way his face would always light up when he saw his son. Looking at the man now, he looked different. He looked older, and broken; like if they had finally taken away everything from him and had nothing more to live for. In a way it was true. Finnick had said, that after he had been born, his mother had died of tuberculosis. His father had taken care of him ever since, and sometimes, he was the one who took care of his father. I heard my mother calling out to me, but I didn’t want to see her right now, nor did I want to see my father. I just wanted to be left alone. I ran to the beach Finnick and I went every afternoon. My lungs felt as if they would burst, and my head ached from all the thoughts that were in it. I dropped to my knees and broke down. The tears kept coming and after an hour, I couldn’t even feel my face. The sun began to set, and the vibrant colors of orange, yellow and red that clashed with the ocean reminded me of him, and his fascination for sunsets. I felt drained and empty. The weighed of the day came crashing down on me, and I fell asleep on the sand, with the sound of the waves to comfort me. “Oh Finn...” I mumbled, my voice quivering. “...I miss you...”

A week had gone by since Finnick had been reaped. The games would be starting by tomorrow. My mother had tried to get me to see the scores, and the interview, but I had rejected the idea. Even thought we were all supposed to watch them, I would just sneak out of the house whenever my mother turned the TV on. I always came to the beach, watching the waves and remembering all the times I would come here with Finnick. I closed my eyes and felt the smooth breezes carry the scent of sea salt and seaweed as they went. I heard some steps behind me and opened my eyes in alarm. “What are you doing here?” The voice was completely unfamiliar. I turned around and saw a boy standing behind me. He must’ve been 13, maybe even 14. He had unruly blond hair that covered his eyes. He was slim and tall, very tall. His eyes were big, with flecks brown and gold, and they reminded me of the way chocolate looked when it was melted and combined with caramel. “Why are you asking?” I asked in diffidence, and he only shrugged. “Aren’t you supposed to be watching the games?” He asked again. Boy, did this guy asked questions! “What about you, aren’t you supposed to be watching them too?” I asked and he smiled. “Touché... You’re Annie, right?” He said and I nodded. How on Earth did he know my name? Who was he? He sat down besides me. “I’m Tide, Tide Malikee.” I laughed a bit. “You have an awfully strange name, Tide.” I said and he smiled. “I have awfully strange parents!” He responded mocking my tone. That made me laugh even more. We both stayed quiet for awhile and then he shock his head. “I’m sorry for what happened to Finnick.” He said. I just stayed quiet. “How does this guy know Finnick?” I wondered. “How do you...” I started to say but he interrupted me. “We met when we were much younger. My dad is also a fisherman and he works with his dad. I’ve known him all my life practically. He really cares for you, he’s always talking about you.” He said and I blushed. I stayed quiet and so did Tide. The afternoon passed and Tide sat there besides me, quietly. No word were needed to express what we were thinking. I realized Tide was probably the only other person who felt exactly like I did about everything that had happened; I also realized that he was the only other person who knew Finnick as well, or better than I did. On that note, I thought that maybe, waiting for Finnick to come back wouldn’t be as painful, if I could at least share the pain with someone else.