Chapter 15

Chapter 15

I stepped into the steel room with nothing but a towel on. I took one look at the suit that laid on top of the bed, and a smile crept upon my face. “In an hour, you will officially be the happiest man in the world” I thought to myself, and I felt my stomach turn into a mixture of knots and butterflies. I took a deep breath trying to calm my nerves and started putting on the suit. I had only used a suit once, back in District 4. My father had made me wear it to attend a wedding. It was back when I was about 5 years old, before I even met Annie. Now I was wearing this thing again, for the exact same occasion, except this time; I was the one getting married. The suit was completely black, except for the tie, which seemed to change from a turquoise blue into a deep green. “The color of her eyes...” I said to myself. I found myself smiling even more of the thought of her beautiful eyes. I started putting it on. I was halfway through, the only things left were the tie, the jacket and the shoes. I sat down in front of the desk. There was a black ink pen and some papers and an envelope. “I’m getting married...” I thought to myself out loud. “I’m getting married to Annie Cresta.” I said, trying to convince my own self. I had proposed to her about two weeks ago, and I was still fazed by the fact that she had said yes, and now that it was time for us to get married, I still couldn’t get used to the idea. It seemed a bit hectic considering all that was happening at the moment. We were in the middle of a war, and chaos had struck everywhere, yet I was completely happy and unfazed. In fact, I was more than happy, I was ecstatic! I was going to marry my best friend, I was going to marry the love of my life. I sat there for a few more minutes just thinking about her, how I loved the way her hair would always fall on her face, how she would always smile when she blushed, how her lip curled when she concentrated; all the little things about her that I always loved. I looked at the pen and the blank piece of paper, and stared at it for a moment. I took the pen and started fiddling around with it. “To my love...” I began but quickly crossed it over. It was too unlike me, so I decided to go with something much simpler. “Dear Annie,” I wrote. Yeah, that sounded good. I didn’t know why I was writing her a letter, but I continued to scribble the words. I felt like, if one day we were separated by some reason, I could at least give her something to hold on to. Once I was done I put it quickly inside the envelope and signed it. I put the envelope inside my jacket and put it on rapidly. I heard a knock on the door, I opened it to see Beete standing by it. He was wearing a suit, much like mine, except it was completely black and white. He smiled at me, and pushed his glasses up since they kept sliding off. “It’s time!” He said and I nodded. I fixed my hair a bit and headed out the door. I was about to become the happiest man alive...