Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Another bone trembling scream filled the air. This one was Johanna’s. I buried myself even deeper in the corner of my cell as another scream filled the air. Wearing nothing but a plain white hospital gown, my body trembled as I pushed myself even closer to the cold steel. The smell of rotting bodies, blood and pesticide filled my nostrils and made me even more nauseous. I buried my face in my hands and clenched my knuckles until they were white. I took quick deep breaths trying to find a way to calm myself. Another scream filled the air, this one even more bloodthirsty than the other one. I felt my heart beating fast against my chest, and I could feel each breath shortening. A shriek escaped my lips and I tightened my grip. I was having a panic attack. I would’ve tried to calm myself down, but there was no use now, there was no use in anything now. I was trapped and alone. My body ached from the tortures it had endured, but it wasn’t the worst part. No pain was worse than loneliness. I could see Finnick smiling at me reassuringly, the way he always would when I felt the need to lose control. I remember him picking the pieces up and putting them together again whenever I dissembled them. I remembered every single thing he did for me, that I never thanked him for. Tears started streaming down my face, and breathing seemed harder than ever. My body shocked uncontrollably as I sobbed, with no intent of calming down. I was drifting deeper into madness, something I had long thought I had forgotten. A guard passed my cell and hit the bars with a metal stick. I didn’t move, but I could still sense he was there watching me. “Look at me...” He said. It was a man, and his voice was ruff. He sounded funny. He didn’t sound like everyone else in the capitol, his accent wasn’t as think, nor as ridiculous. “I said Look at me you  filthy insolent creature!” This time his voice was angry and loud. I flinched before looking up. When I was him, I regretted it completely. He had dark hair with grey eyes, that were cold as steel. Markings covered his face, and a huge scar ran all the way from his left eye, to the right corner of his upper lip. Memories filled my head, I had seen him before. It took me a moment, but then I remembered. I had seen him when I had participated in the Hunger Games. He was a game maker, and one of the worst for that fact. He had been the one behind the giant flood that had characterized the Arena that year. Back then something about him had always struck me as odd, but I never gave it much thought. After the games I tried my best to get rid of all the memories, even now I still tried. It was only now, when he was standing before me that I realized his secret. “They want you to go into questioning next, you lying mutt.” He said firmly. I remained quiet and fixed my eyes on the floor. I heard him walk away but something caught his attention. “Funny, you try so hard to pretend you are one of them. when clearly you couldn’t be more different, yet I’m the lying mutt...” I said, loud enough for him to hear me. He turned back and his eyes met mine. His gaze was filled with fury and hatred. He did some signals to the other guard, they were coming for me now. The guard opened the cell and took me by the wrist and ankles. I would’ve tried to fight them off, but it was of no use. I was too weak to even stand up by myself, from lack of nutrition and sleep. He whispered something to the guard who just nodded. Before sending me off he looked into my eyes, his gaze burning it’s way into my soul. “You will regret ever trying to defy me, you dirty mutt...” He whispered and then spit on my feet. He signaled the guards who nodded and started taking me away.  I knew that a new level of hell would be awaiting me past some doors. I really wished I was dead, it would have been nicer. I closed my eyes and Finnick’s image overwhelmed me. His touch was soft and warm against my skin. “You’ll make it through this Annie, you need to have faith...” His voice was soft but firm. Tears started forming in my eyes and I shock my head. “Faith? Faith! There’s no such thing anymore Finn! They have taken everything from me... I don’t have anything to live for anymore...” I said, with each word, my tone became lower until it was a whisper. He shock his head and pulled we into a hug. “The Annie I know doesn’t give up...” He said, and I didn’t meet his eyes. “The Annie you know is long gone Finn...” I said quietly and he shock his head once again. “No, she’s still here. I can see it in your eyes, she’s still in there somewhere.” He said, and with those last words, everything went black.