Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I sat in a white couch. White walls surrounded me. I had been here once before, 5 years ago to see Finnick when he had been reaped for the 65th Hunger Games, and now I was in his shoes. I was speechless, and my hands were trembling. The peacekeeper stood before the door. I examined the room, it looked the same as it had 5 years ago. I heard some mutters coming from the hallway and I saw the door open. It was Finnick. “Let me in you dumbass!” He shouted at the peacekeeper. His hands were trembling too and his eyes were wild. “Finn?” I looked at him and he rushed over to me and hugged me fiercely. I had to regain my balance after he let me go. He sobbed and he was shaking violently. “Annie, I...I’m so sorry...” He choked and hid his face in his hands. “Finnick, it’s the Capitol. I guess, the odds just weren’t in my favor this year.” I said. I knew this was the last time I would be in District 4, and that this would be my last conversation with Finnick. I wanted to hide in his arms and burry my face in his chest, the way I always did when I was scared. I wanted to tell him how much I loved him, and how much I always would. I wanted him to tell me everything would be ok, the way he always did. I wanted to stretch the last 5 minutes I had with him until forever, I wanted to do many things, but all I was able to do was stare blankly at Finnick without moving. He shock his head without meeting my eyes. “No... It’s...It’s my fault. I was foolish and arrogant, and now you and Tide have to pay...” He said, tears began forming as he took loud hallow breaths, trying to piece himself back together. I placed my hand in his shoulder. “What are you talking about?” I asked and he looked me in the eyes. His eyes filled with sorrow. What did this have to do with Tide and I being tributes for the Games? “...The last time I went to the capitol, I said no. I refused to do what they asked me too. I thought I meant something to them. I thought they wouldn’t dare touch me, because of the fame I had. I was wrong. I was an ass and now you pay the price of my ignorance.” As he spoke these words, his voice became softer and softer until it was barely a whisper. I stared blankly at the wall behind him. I felt so numb, and confused and scared. “What did they say...” That was all I managed to say. He shock his head. “They said ‘Fine, If thats the way you want it, we can’t force you to do something you don’t want to. You may leave and do as you wish.’ I should have known better than to make a deal with them, Im so sorry Annie!” He said. His eyes began to water again and he pulled me into a tight hug. I hugged him back with as much ferocity as I could. “You must really care about me Finn?” I said into his chest, absorbing the fresh smell of the ocean and fresh linen. He pulled back a little and looked me with confusion. “How can you say that?” He asked and I placed my hand on his soft cheek. “Because, they wouldn’t have bothered with me otherwise...” I said in a whisper and gave him a weak smile.  He leaned in and kissed me passionately. I heard the peacekeeper say something from behind us, but I didn’t care. I didn’t want to let him go, I wanted to stay with him, safely in his arms forever. A bunch of peacekeeper came and pulled Finnick away from me. I held his hand as strongly as possible but they were too strong. Finnick tried to fight them but he couldn’t. “I swear Annie, I’ll do everything possible to make sure you come back to me! Everything, you’ll come back!” He shout as the peacekeepers tried to take him out of the room. I nodded. I felt the tears forming and tried to say goodbye to him. I mouthed the word ‘I love you’ just as the door closed, and the tears started streaming down my face. I was alone, and this time Finnick couldn’t do anything to save me...