Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I woke up, surprised that I didn’t have any nightmares. I looked at the alarm clock located on my right nightstand table. “8:30 AM” It read in bright red numbers. Still a bit hazy from sleep, I got up, took a quick shower and got dressed in a simple blouse and jeans. I had been here, in the bunker at District 13 for a week now and was still getting used to things. I heard a loud knocking on my door and headed to it, to see who it was. What would anyone want so early in the morning? I opened the door to find Finnick standing in the way leaning against the doorframe. “Hey.” He said and gave me a shy smile. I smiled back at him and hugged him. He ran his hand through my hair and walked inside the room. Ever since I had gotten here, he had been checking on me 24/7. It didn’t really bother me at all that much, because, well, I missed him. He sat down on a white couch that was in my room, and buried his face in his hands. I sat next to him. “Finn, What’s wrong?” I asked and leaned closer to him. He looked at me and gave me a small smile. “Have I ever told you how beautiful you are?” He said while looking into my eyes. I blushed and looked at the floor. He laughed and tuck a strand of my messy brown hair behind my ear. “I swear, even the moon envies you, Cresta, nothing could be more beautiful.” He said and kissed my cheek. I smiled at his attempt in being romantic. “Sure Odair, whatever you say...” I said and he gave me a big goofy smile. “C’mon, we’re gonna be late for breakfast!” He said and got up. I took his hand, and he put his arm around me. I smiled inwardly, I missed how it felt to be back in his arms. “To be back home...” I thought to myself. We left the room and headed to the cafeteria.

We sat with Johanna, a boy with a gun and dark hair, Enaboria, and a girl with grey eyes and dark hair pulled into a very messy braid. I wondered where the other boy was, the blonde one but I didn’t ask any questions. I really didn’t know any of them, except for Johanna, who had shared a cell with me back at the Capitol. I shrugged at the thought of that place. Honestly, I believed the last level of hell had to be there. Finnick seemed to notice, because he squeezed my hand a little. After we finished eating, Enaboria and Gale left for some sort of training, and Johanna had called Finnick to help he with something. Finnick left reluctantly, after I told him I would be fine, and left me alone with the other girl, the one with the grey eyes. I was sure I had seen her before, but I wasn’t sure where. I must say, she looked like a mess, and that was coming from me. She had bags under her eyes, her hair was all messy and she was very pale. “I don’t think we’ve met, I’m Annie, Annie Cresta.” I said to girl, who just looked at me for a while. “I know... Im Katniss, Katniss Everdeen.” She said. I instantly recognized her, she and the blonde boy had been victors of the 74th Hunger Games. She looked at Finnick then at me. “You know, he was really worried about you, I mean, he’s happy now.” She said quietly. I just looked at Finnick and nodded. “I know.” Was all I responded and she nodded. She looked very beaten up, but somehow I knew that wasn’t all. “What’s wrong?” I asked and she just sighed. “How come you never gave up on him, I mean even after things got so.. difficult, why didn’t you just give up?” She asked me, her eyes fixed on me. I just shrugged. “I-I thought about it, many times before. I guess the reason I didn’t was because, it didn’t feel... right. When I’m with him, it’s like, the weight is lifted off of my shoulders, and everything feels right. When I’m without him, I feel lost, confused, afraid; I feel like nothing is really worth anything, because no matter how happy I am, I can’t be completely happy because I don’t have him to share it with. I-I don’t know how to explain it, it just feels that way. It’s strange, but I guess really, the reason I didn’t give up was because I love him...” I said and she gave me a half smile. She looked down again and somehow I knew it had something to do with that blonde boy. “You’ll get through whatever it is you are going through, I know it.” I said and she nodded in response. Finnick got back to our table and kissed my forehead. “I need to  go to the bathroom, I’ll be right back.” I said and got up. Finnick, was still holding on to my hand. Katniss was looking at us, as to see what would happen. “Finn, I’ll be alright, I’ll be gone, for 2 minutes at most!” I said and he finally let me go. I started walking to where the bathrooms were. “You know, you can let her go, she can protect herself.” I heard Katniss say to Finnick who just laughed. I stopped in my tracks to see what he would say. “Oh it’s not that, fire girl..” He said laughing. “Then what pretty boy?” Katniss asked and Finnick took a deep breath. “I guess you could say, I do it more for my own sake than hers. I just, I’m afraid to lose her again, I can’t afford that so... I keep her close to me...” Said Finnick, and Katniss stayed quiet. I could almost see Finnick’s blushing face. A smile crept up on my face and kept walking. I guess it wasn’t until now that I realized exactly how lucky I was to have someone like him...