avoiding 2

it was my first counseling session alone, and it happened to be right after kyle's. it had been about a week since the incident, though it seemed like a mere day or two.

'so, miss palmer, how are you liking the program so far?' the lady asked.

'it's tyne, and i guess it's alright.' i replied, voice shallow.

she went on to ask me some other questions, and i avoided as much answering as possible.

avoiding things was part of my survival and sanity. at least, that's what i thought to believe.

when the stiff session was over, i was quick to make an exit from the confining room.

what i wasn't expecting was my 'buddy' sitting on the bench outside the small counseling cabin.

his head was down, and i took that as a way for me to just sneak by him.

it didn't work.

'how was counseling?' his voice boomed from behind me, letting me know he caught me.

i didn't reply, rather i continued walking in the opposite direction of where he stood.

he thought it would be okay to follow suit.

'go away.' i murmured as i heard his footsteps fall into place beside me.

'i just want to talk to you. isn't that what we are supposed to do?'

'no. go away.

he continued to walk with me as i made my way towards the river bank. i wanted to shove him away.

'you can't just ignore me, we have to try and get along or this is going to be a long summer. and probably a long school year if you're staying.' he expressed with a sigh.

i didn't reply.

when we finally got to the embankment, i sat down on a nearby rock, and began removing me shoes.

'that's a good idea.' he commented, and i took a glance up to see him removing his shoes as well.

but i didn't reply.

i let out a slight hiss as my feet touched to water. it was still rather cold, even though the heat was starting to pick up around us.

'river tyne putting her feet in the river. that's cute.' kyle mused, and i kept my eyes away from his, but a small smile graced my lips at his comment.

'don't you know what it means when somebody asks you to leave?' i speak up, looking to the water.

he stayed silent after that yet didn't move a muscle.