Manuèl: 1

It was the last quarter of the game. I had to do my best not to foul out. I know if I do the game would be over for us. It seemed as if everything was moving in slow motion around me. I'm dribbling the ball in my hand trying to search for a pass but the guy guarding me wasn't about to let that happen. It was 30 seconds on the clock, and all we needed was this last 3 point shot. I decided I had to do this on my own. The boys would understand even though I notice their flailing arms around me.

I dribble past the other teams guard and run towards our basket. I knew it was a long shot but I need to take this shot. I look up at the clock and it's 15 seconds left.

The crowd was going wild and coach was shouting for me not to shoot. I looked up again and it was now 8 seconds. Once I reached the basket I squatted then jumped up releasing the ball from my grip. The gym fell silent as the ball soared through the air.

All my team mates watched frantically, waiting to see if I had made it. Once the ball reached the rim it hit the back board and I felt like my world was done. The ball fell in through the net and the gym erupted into shouts of excitement.

I did it. Even though coach was hesitant in putting me in the game I did it. I made the net. All my team mates ran and start rubbing my head and patting my shoulder. I felt accomplished. I looked out into the crowd spotting my boyfriend, Baron. He looked at me with such disappointment in his face.

I knew what it was for. My mom didn't come. She's always so busy with work, that she makes promises to me knowing she can't fulfill them. I know he saw the hurt on my face but he knows we can't show our affection for each other.

Once we hit into the locker room I squat down on the bench to listen to coach talk like he does after every game we win. He walks in and places his clipboard in the hands of our assistant coach. He turns and looks around at all of us.

"I'm impressed with all of you tonight. Your drive and determination has proved tonight why you are undefeated. I was hesistant because I noticed they kept trying to one up us but you guys did it. Holmes I don't know what the hell you thought you were doing out there..."

I prepared myself to be grilled.

"But I'm glad you did it. You won us the game of the year. Now you guys can relax until the Championship game in 3 months. I'm not gonna hold you up any longer. Go out and celebrate. You've earned it."

The team started clapping loudly. I sighed and started to take off my uniform. Once the coaches left the guys really started talking.

"Yo Manny..." one of my boys called out to me.

I slid on my wife beater and turned around. "Wassup Bobby."

"I saw you gawking at Baron in the stands. You in love..." He mocked me, and the guys started laughing.

"Man chill out on that love shit. Just a strong like." I shrug.

"Have he gave it up yet?" Lorenzo asks.

"No. I'm not only with him for that. I want this shit to work." I stress to them.

"Work? Work? Nigga all we know is fucking these niggas and bitches and leaving them." Bobby interjects.

The boys always try to grill me because I'm in a relationship with my first love Baron. We started talking in 8th grade and he's been down ever since. Even though we both have to hide it. I don't get why the team gets on me. It is 15 of us on the team and 10 of us are Down low. We dabble with girls from time to time, or we date the girl and fuck the dudes or both. It's weird but true. Every time a rumor pops up about one of us at this school we are quick to defend ourselves to prove it wrong.