Benji: 9

I wake up to loud church music being blasted throughout my house. I sit up and look over at the time. It was 5:45 in the damn morning. I fall back onto my pillow and groan. Pretty soon I heard knocking on my door..

"WHAT?" I yell, lifting my head up from my pillow.

"Benjiah Teriek Concord. Wake it up." My grandma says from the other side.

"We don't have school today Granny." I respond not moving.

"Oh good then you can come to early bible study with me." She says, gleefully.

"Early bible stu... No! I'm sleeping in." I argue.

"Benjiah open this door." She demands, rattling the knob.

I sit up and walk over to open the door. Once I fling it open I'm met with a disgusted glare.

"Yes Grandma."

"All you do is Eat, Sleep, and Shit. Pardon my French. Why don't you ever want to go and spend time with your lord?" She asks.

"I didn't say I didn't. I just said I'm not about to go to an early service if I don't have to." I pout.

"Oh. So you got it all figured out huh? You Mr. Big Man nowadays is that correct? Well Big Man. I can't force you to go but you not going back to sleep. You are going to come out and help me clean up this house because that is what grown ups do." She smiles. I swear she tried to be the mother from Everybody Hates Chris so bad.

"Are you serious?" I ask.

"As a crack addict who needs drugs." She taps my cheek. "Brush your teeth too Benjiah. You look unholy."

She walks off and I shut my door. I walk back over to my bed and sit down. I search around for my phone. The phone fell behind my bed on the charger so I pick it up. Once I flip it around in my hand, I tap to turn it on. I had some missed calls and a few text messages. I didn't care for my callers or my text. I look at the time it was now 6:10 am. I'm taking my ass back to bed.

-----

When I woke back up the house was silent. I lifted my head up from drool filled pillow and looked around the room. The sun was shining through my blinds and I was not prepared for that much light. I grunted as I sat myself up. I went to go pee and handle my every day duties. Meaning I took a shit. After I was done I washed my hands, face, and brushed my teeth. I hopped in the shower for a good twenty minutes and got right out.

I went to my room and got dressed. I don't feel like explaining my outfit because really... Who gives a shit about all of that? I slid on my Chuck Taylors and grabbed my phone and Basketball. I locked the doors behind me once I left out of the house and headed down to the Basketball Court. When I got down there, nobody was here. I looked around and the court was empty. Somebody must've gotten shot somewhere that's the only time people scatter.

I sat the ball on the ground and called Quavon. I really wanted to see him today. He's been avoiding me lately. I can admit I'm crazy about him even though I shouldn't be. I went to his contact and pressed call. The phone rung repeatedly then he finally answered.

"What's Gravy?" He rings into the phone.

I pull the phone away from my ear and stare at it. He's so corny. "Shit. At the court. You tryna shoot some hoops?" I ask, looking down at the ground.

He sighs on his end. "Yeah I'm down. I'll be out there in 10." He says and hangs up.

I look at the call ended flickering across the screen. I don't get why I feel this way about him. It exploded into something else. It's a new disease going around. It's on the news, radio stations, and blogs. It's called love and that shit is deadly. Quavon was the first boy I ever had sex with. When I got with him he was well experienced. I know he fucked with Kye. Who knows who else he gave it up to. If he fucked me on the first night I know he's done it to others. I just want to ask.