Chapter Eight

Hello all. So, so sorry this chapter took so long to update! I've been kinda sick this week and instead of writing like I should have been, I was watching Attack On Titan and Soul Eater, because my friends insist that I watch something OTHER than Fullmetal Alchemist, because they do not understand the true amazingness that Fullmetal Alchemist is. Anyway, I got started on this last night, and I woke up at six this morning to finish it off, so here you go, at seven thirty-ish in the morning I present to you that chapter. :)

Also I know that in the drawing his hair is long, but I drew this months ago, so just bare with me please. :3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you know what it's like when
You're scared to see yourself?
Do you know what it's like when
You wish you were someone else
Who didn't need your help to get by?
Do you know what it's like

To wanna surrender?

~Never Surrender (Skillet)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Brother, why do you have to be like this?" Alphonse wined.

"What do you mean, Al?" Edward grumbled.

"You're so reckless!" He exclaimed. "You nearly clawed that guy's face off!"

"I did not, Al."

"You did too! Exactly how long are your nails anyway?" Ed pulled up short of opening the door to the Hughes' apartment, the place he had come to think of as home. Alphonse had arrived in Central last night, but already Edward was begging to realize it had been so much easier when he had been in Resembool. He hadn't needed to hide here before his brother came, because Maes already knew what he was. Maes already knew that he was a freak, a monster. And he was okay with that. He was helping Edward. He was helping him to not stress so much about everything. He was studying the documents, looking for any kind of sign that might give them a clue as to who his captors were, why they did this to him, and where they might be. He had told Ed that he already had a few theories, thanks to the documents Ed had given him. It made him feel just a little bit better that they were getting closer to the people that had morphed him into something nonhuman, but the nightmares still haunted him. Another thing that had been haunting him lately was the conversation with Mustang at the library a few days ago. For the next two days, he had been trapped completely in a deep depression that he had been able to hide but not escape. Every time he'd passed someone who knew him personally, he had to pretend that he was alright, and it had been driving him insane. He was worried, though, that Maes didn't believe his excuses, and he knew that Mustang didn't.

But seeing Alphonse walking off of that train had been like a beacon of light, shining in the darkness. Finally, he'd been able to fight off his misery, because his brother was here, and that meant that everything would be okay. He'd been able to smile honestly again. But as the hours had passed, the strain of hiding what he was was already starting to take it's toll on him, and his brother hadn't even been in Central a full twenty-four hours yet! He'd almost lost control of his claws twice, and not twenty minutes ago he hadn't been able to control them. He'd gotten into a fight with some drunk guy on the street who thought it would be fun to try and beat up the short kid in the odd clothes. Big mistake. Edward had dodged a punch and then tried to swing one of his own. He'd felt a tingling in his arms as he lashed out, and the next thing he knew blood was squirting from the man's face, and there were three diagonal lines swiping from his left cheek to his chin. They weren't very deep, but all the same, Edward had lost control. Twenty minutes later here he was now, at the doorstep of Hughes' apartment, the depression and the anxiety already creeping up on him again.