Chapter Twenty Four

So it occurred to me that I'd forgotten to add lyrics to the previous chapter, so I've gone back and fixed that.

Also, sorry about the cliffhanger.

Also, I'm so sorry, please, please please don't hate me.

./././.

If you have the means, why wait?
There's no reason to anticipate
You're standing on the edge but it may break.
So fall in to the void and spin away.

~The Means (The Getaway Plan)

./././.

Previously

"Goddamn." He muttered under his breath. "Poor kid just can't catch a break."

"No, it seems he can't." Mustang responded, his voice low.

They stayed there, neither one of them uttering a single word, for the rest of the hour, and when Maes decided that Ed's 'alone time' was sufficiently over, he stood up and left Mustang to whatever thoughts were running around in his head.

./././.

Several weeks passed since Edward moved in with Mustang, and he had to admit, it wasn't as completely, life alteringly horrible as he'd expected it to be. The man had a decent routine when it came to preparing for work, much to Ed's surprise, and was actually very organised. Ed picked up on said routine quite quickly, and he learned that on the few occasions when Mustang was running late it was because he'd had a bad night.

Edward didn't judge him for it. He could relate.

The only problem he was even having was the coughing had started again.

He'd thought it a blessing a few weeks ago, when seemingly out of nowhere the urge to cough up his lungs suddenly ceased. It was like God was finally giving him a break, but out of the blue this morning it had started again, and it had come back with a vengeance. He spent a good ten minutes tearing his throat apart, and the best Mustang could do for him was put a towel underneath him so he didn't get any more blood all over the carpet of his room. Ed had noticed between his coughs of death that Mustang had appeared at some point, noticed the blood on the floor, and fetched a towel for him. Mustang later explained that he had heard the coughing fit from downstairs and had come up to help, but had drawn a blank as to exactly how to help. Edward had told him - well, more like made noises that kind of sounded like words - that it was alright, but he still sensed a bit of discomfort from his caretaker.

After he was done expelling his lungs from his body, Edward continued to go about his daily routine, vaguely noticing that Mustang had been completely shirtless the entire time. Enter: Edward's turn to be uncomfortable.

While Edward was always aware that Mustang was pretty fit, he'd never realised that the guy actually had abs. Abs. How the Hell does a guy who spent the entire day sitting at a desk signing paperwork get abs? It made no sense! The guy even had some muscle on his arms. What the Hell? Edward hadn't seen Mustang do a single push-up the entire time he'd lived with him. Honestly, the guy would have to do his exercises in the bathroom to keep that up without Ed knowing.

Edward might have actually turned red when Mustang noticed he was oggling, and was spared any further embarrassment when the older man left and returned a minute later with a shirt.

Later that morning, when they arrived in at the office, they found Hughes waiting to greet them.

"Heya, Roy-boy! Ed! How's it going?"