Birthday boy

A/N I'm not entirely sure how often this is going to be updated, but everyone is feeling the scolex vibes today so, here ya go. Enjoy :) x

Alex opened up snapchat on his phone, tapping record and filming his own face, pressing a finger to his lips, then switching the camera to reveal a sleeping Scott sprawled but hidden under the covers in their bed. He picked the old fashioned air horn from the bedside table and held it at an arms reach from his phone, and pressed down the button. A single, short, sharp, deafening blast filled the entire house and Alex watched as Scott jumped from his peaceful slumber, to sat upright in a matter of milliseconds.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCOTT" Alex yelled, although he doubted snapchat caught much of it. He locked his phone and made a mental note to add it to his story later. For now he needed to comfort his shocked and confused boyfriend.

"Fuck you" Scott said laying back down, trying to cover his face with the covers, but Alex could see him hiding his grin.

"I was going to be really romantic and cheesy. But that's not really...me."

"Damn straight"

Alex cocked his head slightly, "Questionable word choice but whatever" he said, earning a short burst of laughter from Scott. Alex clambered back in bed next to him, wrapping the birthday boy in his arms and lowering his voice to a much more suitable level now that the whole house was probably awake. "Happy Birthday".

Scott smiled, relishing in the feeling of being home and in his boyfriends arms for his birthday. He made sure to remember this moment for the many birthdays ahead of him where they were appart, and to replace the bitter memories of experiencing it alone in the past.

"Thank you. I'm getting old"

"Yes, you're an old man now." Alex teased.

"I'm being serious. Twenty four. That's so old."

"Are you for real?!" Alex exclaimed, turning in bed to look look the other boy. "If anyone's getting old it's me. I think someone's still a little bit sleepy and not thinking straight"

"Well, someone did jolt me from my sleep with an air horn" Scott quipped, smirking.

"Sorry abut that. I genuinely didn't realise it was going to be quite that loud." Suddenly overcome with guilt, Alex snuggled in to Scott's side, who thankfully didn't seem bothered, just amused. "I've heard the older you get the more socially acceptable it is to just lay in bed awake?"

"Oh really? That's a new one."

"Mmhmm." Alex lifted the covers up over his shoulders as Scott turned to lay on his side to face him, "there's scientific evidence too, I've heard. It's better for you?"

"You're sure this so called article wasn't saying it's bad to get drunk once you're 24??"

"NO. No, I think that one was actually definitely false"

"Whatever you say, Kirk" Scott replied, trying to relax. But now he was buzzing. Like a child on Christmas morning, he wanted to get up and do something. So after a minute of watching Alex's, somewhat adorable, eyelids droop, he nudged the other man awake. "C'mon old man, there's no rest for the wicked. It's my birthday?!"

"Wicked? Oh. Right. You sound as though you just realised."

"Says he who automatically assumes everything is a wicked reference." Scott sat up slowly, watching the shadows cast around the room change shape and size as the wind blew the tress outside their window.

"I made pancake mix. It's in the kitchen. If you carry me I'll make 'em?"

"There is approximately zero chance I can carry you to the kitchen. But pancakes sound good" Scott said, smiling down at his still half asleep boyfriend. "Babe what time did you get up?"

"I don't know, maybe 5? Half 4? I don't remember."

"It's seven. It took you three and a half hours to make pancake batter?!" He applauded Alex's effort but felt bad for all the wasted sleeping time.

"And they're probably gross" Alex joked.

"Well, there's only one way to find out." Scott retreated form the warmth of his bed and threw on some clothes before padding through the house to the kitchen, careful not to wake his poor housemates.

Scott stood dead still in the doorway to the kitchen, shocked for the second time in 20 minutes. Instead of the usually array of buttery knives, last nights glasses and general carnage, everything was cleaned away and in the center of the table was a simple but beautifully decorated white and blue birthday cake, along with pancake batter in a bowl, as promised. No doubt Mr. Artist had some intricate design he wanted to create.

The lighting in the room was tinted slightly yellow, and as Scott stepped into the kitchen he saw a vast array of helium filled balloons floating above his head, hitting the ceiling and obstructing the light.

"Happy Birthday Scott.". Scott turned to see Alex leaning against the doorway. He had watched the snap of Scott jumping out if his sleep, chuckling, and after downloading it, his finger hovered over the "My Story" button. Nah. Our secret for now, he thought, pocketing his phone and smiling brightly at Scott.

"You're not even tired are you? And you said you weren't romantic"

Alex wafted the compliment away, sarcastically adding "I took acting classes, you know how it--"
Scott strode over to Alex, silencing him with a gentle kiss. "Thank you" Scott said simply, their foreheads still resting together.

"You're welcome. Did you read the note?" Alex took the furrowing of eyebrows against his as a no, and watched as Scott went back to look at the cake. Alex coudn't see, but was more than happy to imagine the smile on Scott's face. The special smile, where his eyes crinkled at the edge, and you could see his dimples. Just reserved for special occasions.

Scott picked up the post-it stuck to the work top and read the strangely familiar handwriting over and over again, making sure to take in everything before the rest of their housemates interrupted the silence.

"For you. X."