Cuddles

Scott loved sharing a bed with Alex. If it was cool enough they snuggled together, sharing body heat, or if not they lay on separate edges, only their feet intertwined.

But there were many things they weren't told about sharing a bed with someone who is equally as tall.

The first was how hard it was to get comfortable - it didn't matter how long you shared a bed with someone, Scott was convinced the very minimum it would ever take him to get comfortable would be 20 minutes. Twenty minutes of tossing and turning, and complaints of all kinds.

From "move, you're on my arm" to "you have all the covers I'm literally freezing" and even the occasional melodramatic whisper of "I can't breathe." Although their bodies fit perfectly together, it took sometime for the couple to achieve said perfection.

And once they eventually did, it was always one of them who'd say those four words, and though Scott would claim it was always Alex, he knew deep down the majority of the time it was him.

"I need to pee"

"Nooooo." Alex would tighten his grip on Scott as if that was going to change the fact that Scotts bladder was suddenly about to burst.

"If you don't let go there's going to be consequences." Alex would grumble and groan but release Scott, and when he returned moments later the cycle would be repeated.

And then there were the days when they would return to their bed after a night out.

"Your breath stinks" Alex would mutter into the dark.

"Oh my god really? I brushed my teeth twice I swear"

Alex giggled "yeah. It smells of alcohol"

"I'm so sorry. I can go an--"

"It's fine. Stay."

But those weren't the only smells that they had issues with.

"Did you just fart?" Scott asked

And Alex replied with a simple "yep" showing no signs of regret.

"Ok just release your inner demons that's fine-- oh my god Alex" Scott dramatically wafted the sheets, "it stinks!" Alex just laughed as Scott scooted to the other side, faking a coughing fit and fanning the air as he 'gasped for air'

"Go to sleep you drama queen"

"I would if I hadn't just been gassed! What have you eaten!"

Of course there was also the issue that Scott had a habit of flinching in his sleep.

"WOW" Alex whisper shouted to his still sound asleep boyfriend, curling into a ball, "just knee me right in the crotch. Really. I'm fine. Honestly, thanks for asking." He muttered to himself, shaking his head incredulously at Scott who remained completely unfazed and would insist he never moved in his sleep. "How are you still ASLEEP. I'm in PAIN, Scott!"

Nothing.

And if Scott wasn't getting up to pee, it was because he was a little peckish

"Your stomach is rumbling so loud I'm amazed." Scott would chuckle but start to extract his limbs from Alex. "Where are you going?!"

"To get a snack" Scott replied, as if it was obvious.

"Are you kidding?" But when he was about to leave the room Alex called after him, "get me something too please?"

Finally, just when Scott was about to drift off, Alex would say something that was either extremely dumb or profound. Scott hadn't decided which yet.

"Do you reckon ducks actually like bread?" Alex always took Scotts silence as permission to continue, "Like, we always feed it to them, but what if they're more sophisticated," he gasped "what if they're gluten intolerant. Wait. Can ducks have allergies?" Eventually Scott would interrupt his rambling.

"If you don't shut up I swear to god - I will strangle you with Wyatt's tail."

But despite all of this; waking up with dead arms, sleeping without covers, bashing heads in the middle of the night, being woken by a gentle punch to the face, even mutterings of "ask me if fish have feelings one more time, I dare you." Despite it all. Scott loved sharing it. Being roused by gentle kisses was preferable to his alarm, but even when the alarm did sound they woke in unison; rolling their eyes at one another and slamming the snooze button. And on the weekends when the smell of breakfast in bed would wake him, and occasionally he'd return the favour. The slow mornings they'd stay wrapped in each other's embrace for as long as they could, smiling and whispering light conversation about what the day would hold.

Scott would pull the sheets down over Alex's feet, knowing he hated them being cold, letting him fall back to sleep. Alex would tuck the duvet in under Scotts chin so he was cocooned and there was no way cool air was getting in.

Whilst most of the time their massive bed at home felt much to small, no matter how tiny Scott's bed was when they were apart it still felt far to big without a wriggling Alex beside him. And Alex would stare at the slight dent in the memory foam mattress where Scott should lay, pining for it to be filled.

And when they were finally reunited they'd wonder - why on earth did I miss this?

----

A/N - I'm working on a little scolex AU that I think I'll upload separately as I tend to get carried away so keep an eye out (if you want, of course) xx