Chapter 12

The lift stopped at a private room with a glass wall and a door that opened up onto a large open balcony, extending one hundred ninety meters around.

"What are we here for?" Meraki asked looking over the edge seeing the city below the building. Luke's saber lit up and Meraki turned around blocking his blow.

"Too slow!" He said pushing down. Meraki was confused but she pushed him back this time running at him swinging her blades. The blades clashed with a loud hiss.

"It's been a long few days." Meraki said pushing back and readying the blades before she ran at him, blades swinging quickly. The green and yellow blade blended together in the dark then stopped when Luke's blade intercepted the two. Luke stumbled back under the blow of Meraki's sudden strength.

"You're using your pain as strength." Luke pushed Meraki back with force sending her against the terrace wall. She hit the wall and fell to her knees instantly, catching her breath.

"What would you have me do?" Meraki asked holding onto the cold metal sabers that sat under her hands. Sweat dripped from behind her neck, soaking the collar of her white collared shirt.

"Clear your mind, get rid of all the frustration and anger that you keep inside. Find it and eliminate it." Meraki closed her eyes and cleared her mind just as he had told her to. Minutes went by until Luke's blade ignited. Immediately after Meraki ignited hers. Luke ran at her and swung his blade missing Meraki as she rolled out of reach into a ready stance, sabers ready. Meraki lunged at him, whipping them around as she spun tripping Luke by surprise. He dropped weapon making him unarmed and cornered.

"Better?" Meraki asked breathing heavily like Luke.

"Better." He breathed nodding. Meraki put the hilts on her belt and helped Luke up.

"Was that why you brought me up here, to practice?" Meraki asked looking over the wall at the sun that's slowly peeping up behind the clouds of smoke and fog that laid across the horizon.

"You haven't seen a proper Coruscant sunrise yet." He smiled taking deep breathes.

"I've been here for six days the sun has rose at least five times." Meraki laughed while breathing deeply.

"Yes but you've been under the buildings." He said with a smile. The sun rose up higher peering behind the buildings.

"Are we going to get back down there?" Meraki asked looking at Luke's distracted face.

"When we know Ahsoka is at a good point where we don't need to be close by." Luke said turning around and leaning on the side, Meraki still stayed forward towards the rising sun.

"Will that be long?" Meraki asked looking down at the fires.

"It might be." He said.

"I feel that it's dangerous to wait." Meraki closed her eyes, sensing danger over the planet.

"As do I but we have to take risks while he's recovering." He answered turning around facing the same way as Meraki.

"Chas used to tell me stories back home about life in the temple before and during the clone wars." Meraki smiled at the temple's silhouette.

"Tell me." He smiled looking at Meraki.

"Well during the clone wars, she and her master would meditate for hours in the courtyard under the tree while the other masters and apprentices were away. The temple would be nearly empty on some days and those days she use to practice combat skills and force tricks her master would teach her. Chas and her master only went out a couple of times but nothing like what Ahsoka did." Meraki smiled looking at the temple.

"That must have been..." Luke began.

"Lonely." Meraki finished.

"It was?" He asked.

"According to her, at the time she thought it was amazing but she said thinking back on those years it was lonely." She smiled feeling a tear run down her face. A cloud ahead started to drop rain slowly over the city. Luke pulled Meraki into his shoulder.

"You've been too strong lately, it's time you broke down." He soothed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Meraki asked looking at him with question.

"She meant a lot to you but you never once broke down, you yourself are stronger than most." He said. Storm clouds formed over head as a light rain drizzled quickly down. Pieces of Meraki's brown, wavy hair fell in front of her face as she stared at him.

"She was like my mother." Meraki got out.

"I know." Luke pulled her in, tightening his grip on her loose, long sleeved shirt.