Chapter Four

Blake stepped off the Eurostar and took a deep breath. The other travellers from his carriage surged around him as they pressed forward, eager to get to passport security and onwards to their final destination. His first time in Paris - Blake was in no rush. He bounced on the spot to stretch his calves and then extended his black luggage handle, kicked a heel into the bottom of the suitcase to get the optimum angle for wheeling and broke into a relaxed stride. The travellator smoothly delivered him to the ground floor of Gare de Nord and he ambled forward to join the queue for border control.

The officer who called Blake forward was a stout man with what Blake's grandmother would call "an unnecessary moustache". This term usually indicated Grammy's distrust for people with elaborate facial hair and Officer Fontaine was no exception. Smartly dressed he oozed authority but the waxed tips of his upper lip hair added a clichéd quality that Blake found amusing. Like French people didn't have a strong enough reputation for handlebar moustaches and stripy tops - this is the man they chose to welcome people into their country?

"Monsieur Jackson?"

"Wee."

"Your reason for Paris?"

"I was visiting friends in London and thought, why not?" A New Yorker drawl and winning smile from Blake.

"Business or pleasure?" No smile from Fontaine.

"Pleasure – hopefully," a knowing wink from Blake.

"Hmm... thank you Monsieur, enjoy your stay." Not even a twitch of a manicured moustache.

"Mer-see, arr ray four." A nod from Blake.

" Au revoir Monsieur."