Chapter Thirty Five

Rory composed his face and prepared to see his daughter. Aurélie bounded into the room, full of endless energy, just as always. Already in her late twenties but still his little girl. 

Always his little girl. 

He stood up, leaving his cup and the small puddle of spilt tea on a small mahogany side table. 

"Dad!" She squealed and rushed over to him, wrapping her arms around his middle and pushing her face into his chest, breathing in the familiar scent of her father. After all they had been through as a family, she would always love the smell of her father, a pine and vanilla cologne mixed with an echo of pipe smoke. He reciprocated with a big bear hug, squeezing tightly and kissing the crown of her head. 

"Precious Relie, how is my girl doing?" he murmured into her hair.

"Wonderful thanks Dad. Well, last couple of days have been a bit tough but today has turned a corner," she pulled away from him and looked up at his face. She'd last seen him at Easter and his thick dark hair was now nearly all dark grey. Grey blue eyes still as sharp and inquisitive. Complexion still clear, maybe a little more ruddy than before. 

"You didn't say you were coming over!" she jabbed both her index fingers into his ribs.

"I wanted to surprise you, little sparrow. I thought it was time I paid you a visit." His eyes flickered over to Lena who was sat in an armchair, cradling her tea cup and staring into it. 

"Have you got any plans? How long are you over for?" 

"I'm here for three days, and I haven't made any plans," he shrugged, "I thought I'd wing it, I've booked a room in a hotel further down in the Latin Quarter." 

"You never wing anything!" She laughed and turned to Lena. "Seb's exhibition was amazing, I might take Dad over there later, I think he'd enjoy it." 

"Who's Seb?" Her father enquired. 

"He's a family friend of mine," Lena explained. "He's been helping us renovate the house and he's an artist over at the institute." 

A flicker of disappointment crossed Rory's face. He was too late, she'd found an artist. An artist made much more sense for her. She didn't need someone who played by the rules and considered every option before making a decision. Even if it meant wasting years of his life scared of hurting anyone again. 

"Dad, I need to pop out in a second, I shouldn't be too long. Do you want to wait here or I can pick you up from the hotel and we can go for dinner later?" Aurélie asked. 

"Call me when you're free and we'll meet for dinner," he answered glancing across the room. "I need to freshen up and get out of Lena's hair."