Chapter Fifteen

Aurélie spent most of the next morning in the upstairs living room, pacing between the landing, kitchen, and her room up in the attic.

"Someone's a fidget this morning," Seb commented as he strolled into the living room and plonked himself down on the worn sofa. Aurélie flushed, she'd been caught plumping three cushions simultaneously, sitting down and then re-plumping. She paced in front of the mantelpiece, checking her reflection in the mirror and tying her hair up loosely before pulling it out again and letting it fall over her shoulders.

She caught Seb's bemused expression in the mirror that hung over the marble mantelpiece. He'd stretched his legs out on the sofa and had his arms crossed behind his head. His converse sneaker clad feet dangling off the end of the sofa.

"What's got you so excited?" He drawled, his French baritone voice mocking her obvious restlessness.

"Nothing much" she replied, narrowing her eyes at him in the mirror. "What are you doing here? Lena's teaching downstairs."

"I know, I heard her teaching them how to make crepes as I came up the stairs."

"Well that is one of the basics of cookery school. You haven't answered my question though?"

"Aren't I allowed to pop over to see how the house that I have slaved away on is doing?" He smirked, eyes now closed. He really did have the air of a contented cat, perhaps it was his almond shaped eyes and the way he seemed completely relaxed in his skin. Like he could fall asleep in any situation.

"Well, I'm going out soon. I've got a date," she announced turning to pick up one of her cashmere cardigans off the back of the sofa, walking behind Seb as she did so. His eyes flew open.

"A date?"
"That's right."
"With who?"
"With Blake"
"Blake..."
"Yes Blake. Do I have to repeat everything I say?"

He was sat up now, his arms over the back of the sofa as he rested his chin on his wrists.
"I didn't realise you were dating."
"Did you not get my weekly email bulletin?"
"Must have gone into my spam box," he said, lying back down on the sofa and closing his eyes.

"Have fun, be back by six." A mocking smile played on his lips.

Aurélie stalked out of the room. How dare he question her like that? Why was he even here? She headed downstairs to the ground floor front room, careful not to come out into the hallway until she heard Blake call goodbye to Lena. She didn't want to become the doorman, or door woman again, for that matter.

"Hey Aurélie, you ready to show me more of the sights?" He asked. He was wearing the same jeans as yesterday but a red and black checked cloth shirt now covered his top half. Aurélie suddenly wondered what was under his shirt and quickly had to bring her attention back to the current conversation. It was far too early in the day for those kind of thoughts.

"Yes, I thought we'd start by heading out along the Seine and taking in some of the river? I'm not usually one for making a schedule so we can just see where our feet take us."

"I like the sound of that," he smiled down at her as he held the front door open. Aurélie fished her sunglasses out of her bag and stepped out into the glorious sunshine.

This almost feels like a holiday. Almost.