Chapter Forty One

Seb reached out and pulled Aurelie towards him, embracing her in a fierce hug, she knew he was holding her up, all composure had left her. The last twenty four hours had been so intense. She let his arms wrap around her and found comfort in his strength. 

She breathed deeply, centering herself. 

He smelt of sandalwood with a faint tang of paint stripper, a citrus smell softened by the hint of cologne. 

"Relie," he murmured into her hair. His voice vibrated through his chest and she could hear the solid thump of his heart. Her arms around his middle, she tightened her grip, clutching his tshirt in her hands. "I love you," he whispered. It was barely audible, she thought she must have misheard. She craned her neck and looked up into his deep brown eyes. Stubble had formed on his cheekbones and along his strong jaw, he looked so tired. 

"Seb?" she whispered. 

"I love you, Relie." He bent down and kissed her gently on the lips. She took a sharp breath. He pulled away and looked at her, arms still encircling her, an anxious expression had crossed his face. His brow furrowed and he bit his lip. She barely gave him time to doubt his decision before she pulled his head down, pressing her lips into his, her kiss urgent and unmistakable. She pulled back and smiled. 

"I love you." 

The relief on his face was enough to make her laugh and he picked her up, swirling her around. He kissed her again, deeper and longer. 

"Sorry, am I interrupting?" Rory stood in front of them. A bunch of red roses in his hand from the gift shop. 

"Dad!" Aurélie blushed and moved away from Seb, reaching for his hand instead. Her chest felt like it would explode. But there was something up with Rory too. 

"Aurélie, you should know... and this probably isn't the best way to tell you... I've not bought Lena roses because she's in hospital. I bought them because... I love her. I mean to say I am in love with her. And what I am trying to say albeit bumbling is that I would very much like your blessing," for the first time in her life, her father was seeking her approval. 

Aurélie's eyes were as wide as saucers. Talk about curveball. She realised Rory wanted her blessing right now before he gave the flowers to Lena. He was shuffling from one foot to the other again. Fidgeting and impatient. He obviously wasn't going to wait too long.

"Wow Dad...this is so," she started before Seb squeezed her hand. She coughed, "Dad, you have my every blessing." 

It was only as Rory gruffly cleared his thought and made to return to the room that Aurelie felt in her heart that she genuinely meant it.