My Tears Dry On Their Own (interracial) 3

Chapter 3 

As she made her way to the train station Kobe's words kept playing in her head.  

"Why do you keep trying to leave me?" 

She tried to ignore the voice in her head and pushed herself to keep walking forward until she reached the subway.  

"Why do you keep trying to leave me?" The voice screamed at her. 

She covered her ears, as if she could block out the sound.  

"Why?" The voice screamed. 

"Leave me alone!" She shouted with her eyes shut. 

"Don't you love me?" They screamed once more. 

"Yes," She whispered. 

She grabbed her bags and went straight home to wait for Kobe to get home.  

To occupy her time she used an online therapy site that specialized in abusive relationships and called the hotline. 

"Hello, my name is Kimberly Blake, how can I help you?" 

Everly froze. This couldn't have been her best friend Kimberly from high school, could it? 

"Hello, are you there? It's okay. Our service is confidential. No one will know about this except you and me." 

"I'm calling because I'm not sure if I should leave my abusive husband." 

"Whose speaking?" 

"Everly?" 

"...And how old are you, Everly?" 

"Twenty." 

"Your last name wouldn't happen to be Goodenberg would it?" 

"Goodenberg is my maiden name, yes." 

Kimberly sighed. "Oh, dear god... Everly I can't believe it's you." 

"It's been a long time since we last talked, hasn't it?" 

"Too long, why haven't you left Kobe? You know this is exactly why I chose this career path, because I knew my best friend was being abused." 

The thought of leaving Kobe again made her want to die. "I can't leave him, he loves me and he needs me." 

"Do you still love him?" 

"I'll always love my sweet loving Kobe." 

"You mean the man he used to be? The man who told you how beautiful you were, how special you were to him, and fooled everyone into believing that you were his precious jewel he would never harm." 

Everly bit her fingernails. "He's...he's still there." 

"But he's not there all the time like he should be." 

"He is still there, I have to at least try and get him back." 

"Where do you think he is now?" 

"I don't know." 

"Everly." 

"....Probably in bed with a whore."  

"Why would you stay with a man like that?" 

"Because I could never love anyone else as much as I love him, and no one else will love me anyway." 

"Stop! Where are you?" 

"Burkrow, Portland." 

"I will get a flight there tonight." 

The thought of seeing Kimberly again made her happy and scared at the same time.