Chapter 3: A Run In

“Yeah~ yeah keep doing that.. I like it when you fight back~”

“S-Stop it! Let me go!! Ahhhh!!-MMMmm!!!”

“Shhh, this will be over soon. Just relax~”

“No.. Stop… “

“You’re nice and.. O-Oi!! How dare you turn away! I should-”

“No.. Get off. Get away… Get AWAY!”

I jolted upright and sat up, while holding my head in pain. But the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was my room. ‘...How did I get here?’

My eyes were sore and my head felt heavier than a ton of bricks. I leaned forward to stand and flinched in pain as my rib cage burned. My body felt weaker than it’s ever been and I can’t even remember what happened to cause this. ‘Did I get hit by a car while I was jogging?’ I wanted to go back to sleep so badly, but my fear of having that dream again was much stronger. Anything was better than that dream… even death.

So I decided to get up and do something. My reality had become a bad dream as well, and it only became a matter of choosing which dream I wanted to live in..

As I dragged myself to the bathroom, I expected to see the worst. If I looked anything like the way I felt, then my expectations surely would be met.

I flicked on the light and watched my gray eyes dilate.

“Oh my god… “

Small streaks of dried blood tainted my hair, my eye socket was bruised, the side of my face was scuffed up and my neck had a giant bruise on it. I didn’t dare check the rest of my body. I was too scared to.

… I hate the world. I hate my life. Why did this happen to me? Why am I always getting hurt?! I’m just an ordinary girl who doesn’t deserve any of this...’

‘It’s because of him… He did this to you.… Hate him. Detest him.’

“I do.. I..” Tears were welling up in eyes and I fought against it with anger. I didn’t want to feel any weaker at the moment than I already did.

“I- I FUCKING HATE HIM!”

Cracks formed in the wall around my knuckles, where my fist made impact.

“I should set this entire house on fire and burn everything in it. And then burn the ashes! I hate you.. I HATE you... I hate THIS!!

Tears fled down my cheeks from lack of strength to hold them back as I watched blood spots form on the wall from every punch I made. Hatred and rage coursed through me, until I noticed a small figure from the corner of my eye, stopping me dead in my actions.

“S-Sister?”

‘Oh no… Kato. The last thing I needed was for him to see me like this.’ I stood there, slowly retracting my hands into my chest as my eyes softened upon the little boy.

“Kato… How long have you been standing there?”

He stood frozen, with quivering lips showing nothing but fright and sadness.

“Kato, come here. Come to Jess-”

“N-No! What happen to you??!” he cried.

“Nothing happened! I’m fine see??”  I said while smiling and trying to make a funny face which probably looked scarier than anything.

I watched his tiny hands rub at his eyes as he started to cry, and I internally lost it. I couldn’t bare to see him crying over me. Before I knew it, I was smuggling him inside of my arms and running my fingers through his hair just trying to calm him down.